Thread: Cctv dvr help

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Contributor

Cctv dvr help

Need some help
    I have a dvr which will be placed hidden away maybe in the attic
    So which would be better to use to provide Internet access
    A access point router or a powerline adapter? I have never used either so I'm not sure yet
    The house is small so I presume getting a signal from the modem which is in the sitting room shouldn't be an issue
    I cannot move the main modem because it fibre broadband and the fibre cable comes in the TV point in the sitting room
    Anybody with experience on these
    Thanks

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Cctv dvr help

Quote Originally Posted by claudio
    Need some help
    I have a dvr which will be placed hidden away maybe in the attic
    So which would be better to use to provide Internet access
    A access point router or a powerline adapter? I have never used either so I'm not sure yet
    The house is small so I presume getting a signal from the modem which is in the sitting room shouldn't be an issue
    I cannot move the main modem because it fibre broadband and the fibre cable comes in the TV point in the sitting room
    Anybody with experience on these
    Thanks

Never used a powerline but I do know the quality of the connection is dependant on the quality of the wiring and if will be adversely affected if there is a noisy devices on your mains.

Whats the distance from the DVR to the modem? Will the AP be used as your main wifi or as a range extender?

BMWHaus Guru

I'm using a power line adaptor without any problems. about 15ft away from the router

BMWHaus Contributor

Modem is in downstairs sitting room , dvr will be in attic
    I think a good AP may be strong enough to do the job
    Was just looking for opinions on maybe someone who had used a AP before

BMWHaus Contributor

My brother fits these for a living.
    He done my dads recently while we extended the house. Dvr placed securely away and out of the way and the wireless router in the sitting room (upc). He used a wifi extended to bump the signal to the dvr box as we can remotely access it and watch live video stream of any of the 6 cameras or look back through the recordings for up to one month on any of the cameras all on the phone remotely.

I use powerline adapters all over my house, both cable and WiFi versions and I think they are the best invention ever! Mine are all TPLink AV 500 units. They do a 200 mb version too but I think from a future proofing POV, the extra speed for internal networking and considering there's not much cost between them the 500s are the way to go!

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by kceire
    He done my dads recently while we extended the house. Dvr placed securely away and out of the way and the wireless router in the sitting room (upc). He used a wifi extended to bump the signal to the dvr box as we can remotely access it and watch live video stream of any of the 6 cameras or look back through the recordings for up to one month on any of the cameras all on the phone remotely.
    Hi Keith,

What setup is that and how much to install. PM if preferred. Thanks.

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by eddiem74
    Quote Originally Posted by kceire
    Hi Keith,

What setup is that and how much to install. PM if preferred. Thanks.
    I'll ask Eddie. Depends on the number of cameras etc
    I remember him saying that there was cheaper kits out there but the kit he fitted to my dads was high end.

HIK cameras iirc