Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Super4 E36 318isc demo car

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

Super4 E36 318isc demo car

Hi everyone,

I felt it time to start the revised project thread of the Super4 E36 and get it posted up here first, over the coming days & weeks I shall go from start to current progress with it. Content shall be slightly different and the quickie snaps shall be made look a little more appealing .

There will be where possible some "How To" guides thrown in along with some new current upgrades.....some marmite some not so marmite .

So to kick it off this is what the car was like when I first got it a year and a half ago, the car had a leaky boot (common on older E36's) so this was first on the agenda as I hate cars that leak!.

First day : After quick initial cleaning and mopping water

ENGINE AFTER A CLEAN UP :

Thanks for looking
    CURRENT CARS:

Avus Blue 99 E36 318ic
    Arctic Silver 98 E36 328ic
    Montreal Blue 95 E36 320ic
    Avus Blue 99 E36 318is
    Hellrot 95 E36 318is trackcar soon

Galaxy Grey 06 Mazda RX-8 192bhp

Blue / silver 2003 Mitsubishi L200 Crewcab

Super
    4 BMW

ON FACEBOOK
    ON INSTAGRAM
    http://www.facebook.com/eisenmannireland
    super4offroad@gmail.com
    086-731-1738

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

RE: Super4 E36 318isc demo car

Well today turned out to be seriously nice so I decided to do a little bit more work on the front end seeing as I was home for the day I wanted to finish off cleaning up the trims on the bumper as well as the plastic pieces on the under side that bolt onto the wheel arches guards as these were painted blue also :frown

Here is how she looked when I started

I then proceeded to sand down any of the plastics that got caught in the dreaded Avusblau crossfire , and started painting. With it being such a nice day there was plenty of good drying time.

All the plastic bumper trims were taken off, keyed and painted in satin black and I have to say i was delighted with the way they came up. You really wouldn't think they were resprayed. The reg plate plastic has a few nicks here and there but it's in pretty good shape all the same, and won't be changed yet.

Thanks for looking

As i looked back at the car in pieces i noticed something else that i and my rattle can could tackle so i proceeded to remove the kidneys and key them down... This paint has a hold on me

While they were drying I put the plastics back on my bumper and started snapping away, the bumper is starting to take shape slowly and all I need now it the plastic trim that covers the towing eye as this was missing when I got the car :frown, not too worry i'll pick one up shortly enough. Also needs to order up my fog lamp bracket....why do I keep forgetting to do this!!

Both kidneys done and back on the car

Front bumper is just resting and not bolted back on yet as there is a little more fettling that I want to do before I bolt it all up, I think I am slightly OCD and definately very fussy about my cars. But that's a good trait right....??? D

Need to sort out headlamp badly too as it really does take away from the car, and some M3 mesh as well.

Thanks for looking

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

Well picked up my Used Eibach Anti Roll Bars and bushes from a car that was being broken for parts, definately one of those rare finds indeed as the rest of the car was completely standard aside from a full set of Eibach Pro Springs which I will be going back for once they are out of the car

Here's just a couple of snaps as I couldn't wait to look at them when I got home this evening, as i'm sure many of you know already these bad boys have serious weight in them. I'm really looking forward to seeing what the car is like with them on. Before I fit I will be ordering new drop links all round for the car as well and may just order a new bush kit from Eibach too.....We'll see I also managed to get a passenger side headlamp for €25.00 (:jaw-dropping) and it's spot on so looking forward to getting that fitted as it will really clean up the front of the car no end.

ARB's :

Headlamp :

Thats it for now, there is plenty more although I need to be smart and conserve funds too so once the above is done I shall be slowing down unless more great exciting deals come up

Thanks for looking

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

Today I stumbled across a ART & HOBBY shop so out of curiousity (and being impatient waiting for my Lamin-x to arrive) I decided to go in and ask if they had Yellow glass paint.....Few minutes later I was €7 lighter and had paint and brush.... So what else would one do at 00:19 on a Sunday morning??? Trial painting of the old headlamp lens

After 3 coats :

Well after painting a spare headlight lens I had last night I decided that today I would get stuck in and do a full headlamp renew and get them upto scratch. I whipped out the lights, separated them and took them inside got out the newspaper and popped them onto the kitchen table. Out came the hobby cutting blade and away came the sealant

Once all the sealant was off it was into the kitchen sink they went to bathe in some hot soapy water, the headlight glass got a good cleaning as did the plastics then it was onto the range they went for drying.

While I was waiting for them to dry I started painting the main beam lenses with my yellow stain glass paint :

The lenses took three coats of paint and too be honest I think I might have like one or two more to go on but they're fine for now. Just me being finicky :shifty: It was then time to get the lenses back into the surrounds and get to sealing them back into place. I made the boo boo of putting the newly painted yellow main beam lens into the dipped beam slot but only realised this when I had put new black silicone sealant on!!!!!!! eekmad:jaw-dropping "B@ST@@@@@@@RD". A few minutes later and all was sorted and redone.....Calmies again

Re-sealed :

Went a little mad on the headlight pictures......Sorry!!! :silly

Oh and I am also putting amber corners on the car as I think they look / contrast better with the Ausblau paint work and the now yellow mainbeam lenses. The passenger side headlight is in much better nick than the driverside but it's okay as I have another one lined up....just means doing the mod on one lamp again.

Waiting on the other amber corner to arrive so she's looking a little pieb@ll at the moment :

Headlights on :

Thanks for looking, opinions always welcome

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

Decided I would change my rocker cover gasket (As it's been leaking a while by the look of it) that I had bought earlier last week seeing as it was a nice day and not raining. All went fine apart from the rocker cover really being stuck on and pipe number 13 being soft, brittle and coming away from the rocker cover itself. Shall have to sort this tomorrow, trying to get as much done over these few days as I want to start driving the car and enjoying it

A little oily :

Figured my oil cap needed some love :

Also noticed my kidneys I had painted last week were already chipping yet I haven't even driven the car.....eek I couldn't figue this out until I heard a PIIIINNG when I looked around my nutty dog was chasing his ball and had kicked up stones onto the grill thus chipping the paint. So these came back off, I went and bought some tougher paint as the other stuff was coming off way to easily! :shifty:

In between all that I decided I wanted to paint my rocker cover and yes you guessed right it is now black , I had done my 166 engine the same and really liked how it came out so this was to get the same treatment although there shall be a very slight twist coming at a later date.

The rocker cover stud bolts were manky so they had to get some attention also :

All done and back together :

Will be changing the setup on the spark plug cover very shortly as I don't like it and i rushed painting it due to being very hungry

[hr]
    Last night before I went in from the cold after having a day at the bimmer I decided to do one more thing, it was a kind of spur of the moment thing. Basically I was looking at my new freshly painted rocker cover and decided the upper half of the inlet manifold really needed some paint too

So off it came in the pitch dark using the torch on my phone :

Then this morning when I got up it was time to get stuck back in again and get scrubbing and painting, it took no time at all last night to whip it off about 10-15 minutes then today about an hour scrubbing, painting and re-fitting. I was tempted to do the other half of the inlet but my sensible side took over as I thought to myself "it will never see the road if i keep pulling it apart" so I held back.... I'll get it at a later date, lol

MY SHAGGED AND BRITTLE BREATHER PIPE :

THIS WAS SERIOUSLY FECKED.... :

I wanted to get the car driving today (which I did) so I went to my local diy and picked up the finest (:sarcastic) of braided garden hose as a temporary measure to replace the shagged breather pipe . On it went and working a treat, although seeing as this is not resistant I wouldn't want to be leaving on for too long me thinks.

LE LUMP :

And all back together....ha ha for how long though??? :

......Well that wasn't long, think I took a break for an hour then decided to go back at it and tackle the front ARB as I had picked up new drop links today. Totally forgot I had ordered the Meyle ones!!! when they arrive i'll have a spare set LOL,

Cannot wait for the new discs to arrive then I can get my pads on, hard to see in the picture but the front discs have a nice lip on them indeed!! :

OUT WITH THE OLD AND ALL THAT :

EVERYTHING COPPER GREASED FOR EASE DURING FUTURE TINKERING :

AND IN WITH THE NEW :

CLOSE UP OF THE GRILLS :

Some more snapping, left it jacked up tonight as I shall be getting stuck in tomorrow on the front shocks and springs hopefully :

Thats it for today as always thanks for looking

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

Evening all,

Not a huge update really just more maintenance which shall be the case until I think it will be ready for fun stuff . Today I picked up my new fuel filter and Gates Alternator belt, plan is to fit these tomorrow along with (FINALLY) my other amber corner lamp Woo Hoo.

I decided I would fit my new Meyle HD top mounts this afternoon and whilst I was there I was going to fit my Eibach rear springs and Eibach ARB but I decided to hold off until I had new rear drop links which I shall pick up tomorrow along with standard rear discs. Once I have these I shall tackle the lot and install the EBC greens.

BEFORE :

SLIGHTLY KNACKERED : I'm really surprised these weren't knocking!!

INSTALLED :

With the rear partially stripped it really does make everything very easy the rear wheels I think were last put on by the HULK's mother and even when the wheel studs were loose and off the wheel took a lot of beating to get off the hub so they got a greasing before they were put back on.

Bumper trim shot in daylight : (repainted)

The other reason i didn't get stuck into rear springs etc this afternoon!!!!

The rain arrived late this avo and hasn't stopped since, will be interesting to see if my leak in the boot returns!!! After looking at the weather it doesn't look good for tomorrow which is a pisser as I was hoping to get the rear springs,arb links, discs, fuel filter, Alt belt and pads on, guess we'll just have to see what happens. I also want to look over my power steering system also as it feels a little stiff at times etc so will check this out too. Wheel bearings a must at this stage also so think that'll be next task along with water pump and thermo.

Thanks for looking,
    [hr]
    Evening all,

Yet again a lovely day so it was a good time to put in the new alternator belt as the old one was riddle in little cracks, changed just in time by the looks of it. What a nice easy job today as well, getting the old belt off took all of 2 minutes and vice versa with putting the new one on. I decided while i have the airbox out i would do a little spring cleaning under the bonnet and just have a genral poke around

OLD BELT :

A FEW MINUTES LATER :

My power steering bottle unsurprisingly was completely caked in crud that i'd say has been building up over the last 13 years, so i gave it a very quick clean as i shall be doing a big job soon the power steering so will be more attentive then

YUMMMMY!!! :

With it all back together i go stuck into getting the engine bay a little bit cleaner, which only took a little while but that led to me washing the car then. In fairness it did need a wash as it was getting a little to dirty for my liking

ENGINE GIVEN A MINI DETAILING :

Thanks for looking

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

NEW INNER DUST SEAL

STEPS I TOOK IN ORDER REMOVING THE OLD BEARING :

1. Slacken off wheel nuts slightly using the 17mm socket
    2. Raise car of the ground, I did this by jacking up under the front subframe that way both wheels clear the ground
    3. Finish removing wheel nuts then remove wheels, may need a kick or two if the wheels haven't be off in a while and put on with an airgun
    4. Remove the black rubber caps covering the caliper slider bolts, using the 7mm allen key undo the caliper sliding bolts. The caliper should be looser now then remove brake pad wear sensor (PASSENGER SIDE ONLY in my case)
    5. Using the 16mm ring spanner/socket undo the brake caliper bracket bolts
    6. Caliper and bracket should all now pull away, remove old pads and cable tie the caliper up to the shock spring. DO NOT LET THE CALIPER HANG BY THE FLEXI BRAKE PIPE
    7. Remove small brake disc screw, it was an allen key head also but can't remember size think it a 9mm
    8. The discs in my case wwere being replaced so I gave them a good belt with a hammer to get them off, if you are keeping the discs go about removing them carefully so as not to damage them.
    9. Remove front hub dust cover using flathead to prise it off.
    10. The hub nut is now visible, using the flat head and a hammer tap out the notches in the hub nut, now get your 46mm socket and breaker bar and undo the hub nut.
    11. Once fully undone you are now ready to remove the bearing and hub, in my case hand pulling power was all that was needed and the old bearing slid off leaving the inner bearing race still on the stub axle (you may need a bearing puller)
    12. With my fish crow bar I was able to place it behind the inner race and prise it off the stub axle very easily
    13. I then used the same pry bar to remove the inner dust seal which again came away without a fight. Stub axle is now fully visible for inspection
    14. I removed my brake dust guard to give it a good clean, it's only head on by 3 x 10mm bolts

STEPS TAKEN IN ORDER PUTTING ON NEW BEARING :

1. Refit brake dust guard
    2. Fit new inner dust seal, this taps in to place using a flat head or chizel
    3. Grease stub axle shaft
    4. Sit new bearing hub assembly onto stub axle, get it aligned straight and push in on as far as it will go, now get you 36mm socket and place it on the outer bearing race (NOT THE HUB ITSELF) and tap/hit with even hammer blows till the hub can go back no further
    5. time to fit your NEW 46mm hub nut, tighten / torque to 213 ft/lbs
    6. With the chizel and hammer notch the new hub nut so it pushes the nut edge in to the stub axle cut outs (this secures the hub nut from coming off)
    7. Refit brake discs, refit brake discs screws with copper grease
    8. Refit brake caliper and pads
    9. Refit brake pad wear sensor
    10. Check over everything you have done at lease twice

Hope this will be of some help to people on here, if I have missed anything let me know as I said I did this inbetween showers so could well have missed a step. I did miss taking some more pictures of the bearing itself installed, I have now to put up 60 miles of run in on my new pads a discs which I always do before i can do some spirited driving again Here are some pictures that I did manage to get today when the sun was out.

OLD DISCS AND PADS DRIVER SIDE :

NEW DISCS AND PADS DRIVER SIDE :

PASSSENGER SIDE DISC,PADS AND HUB BEARING REMOVAL :

HUB BEARING :

INNER BEARING RACE STUCK TO STUB AXLE :

INNER BEARING RACE REMOVED :

INNER RACE :

STUB AXLE SCOURING :

STRIPPED STUB AXLE :

OLD INNER DUST SEAL :

ALL CLEAN :

THE QUALITY WORKMANSHIP ASSESSOR STOPPED BY TO CHECK EVERYTHING OVER!!!!!!!

DIRTY DUST GUARD :

CLEAN DUST GUARD :

INSTALLING NEW INNER DUST SEAL :

THIS OLD PATROL GR HUB NUT SOCKET CAME IN HANDY FOR INSTALLING DUST SEAL : TAP TAP TAP!

INNER DUST SEAL IN PLACE :

At this point it started to piss rain so had to wrap everything up and bolt indoors...... when I got back outside the sky was very dark and gloomy so I just made a burst for it and got stuck back in, thus I have no pictures of the new bearing actually installed . As soon as I did get the new bearing installed the feckin sun came back out for a short while which was nice and allowed me to finish without looking at the sky every minute.

BEARING HUB INSTALLED AND NEW DISC ON :

DROPPED SOME WHISKEY INTO THE QUALITY WORKMANSHIP ASSESSOR'S WATER AND THAT TOOK CARE OF HIM FOR A WHILE

Thanks for looking

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

Hi to all,

When I got back this morning there was a small parcel waiting for my attention. Instantly knowing what it was I opened it up and started to snap away , I went for a Canbus-Pro 6000K set for my car and naturally a H1 fitment. The build quiality of these is excellent with the ballast tanks being very robust indeed and well upto the elements that an engine bay might see. Wiring is also of excellent quality with great tight sealing connections.

The HID bulbs themselves fitted very snug and without any issue at all (JUST NEVER TOUCH THEM), wiring them up took all of about 15-20 minutes if even then another 15 minutes sorting out the back light covers so as I could retain using them. Again this was a very simple and neat process. Even with it not dark yet I am very happy with the color they produce although in the pictures they have a greenie hue to them in real life this is not the case, instead they produce a very enchanting crisp white light with an extremely subtle blue hue around the edges. Well I shall let the pictures do the talking :

FIRST OPENING :

6000K SET :

FITTING PROCESS : 30 minutes max for a competent diyer. If not leave it to someone hwo knows.

I JUST DID A SOFT WIRE UP TO BEGIN WITH TO MAKE SURE ALL WAS WORKING AS IT SHOULD :

WIRED AND TURNED ON : Very plug & play, driver side light lens is riddled in stone chips so looks a little hazey

WIRING UP PROPERLY & NEATLY TO PROTECT AGAINST THE ELEMENTS :

FINAL CHECK TO MAKE SURE ALL WORKING AS IT SHOULD :

As always you comments, thoughts are welcome and thank you for looking

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

Got some ramp time late this afternoon so got stuck into the few jobs mentioned above, started with the inner and outer tie rods which were no problem then onto remove the lower front wishbones. The passenger side one came away quite easily but the driver side took a lot of smacking and prying to get it to release. Eventually it gave allowing me to remove them and start pressing out the ball joints etc.

As I suspected my inner tie rods were well shot so really looking forward to driving this when complete and tracked. Few more bits to finish off tomorrow, and may even get the rear wheel bearings done.....but we'll see

BEFORE :

DURING :

NEW INNNER/OUTER TIE RODS :

PRESS TIME :

NEW MEYLE HD SOLID BALL JOINT : Installed

The pictures are a bit scattered as I was trying to get as much done as I could, although my mate said it was okay for the car to be on the ramp I don't want it there any longer than needs to be.

Got all the ball joints finished up today on the car and fitted the powerflex lollipops also. The tracking is WAAAAAAAY out so the car is driving like a bit of a pig this evening, just didn't have time to do it so I shall attack this tomorrow and hopefully she should feel and drive the way I think it will in y head

POWERFLEX LOLLIPOP :

BALL JOINTS GOING IN :

ARMS BACK ON THE CAR :

LEFT OVER PARTS :

ALL DONE AND BACK ON HER FEET :

Thanks for looking

That was a great read, good work