Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: E46 M3 daily

BMWHaus Contributor

E46 M3 daily

Lads I only have 1 question really..fuel and Mparts aside. .what way do ye swallow road tax..I've dreamed and agonised over an M3 but was not in a position to have one as a sole car all down to the price of tax..the simplest way I can break it down is 42e a week..42e a week before the cars even started..not been a cheap cunt but 500 odd every 3 months is noting to be sniffed at. .I currently run my 320d and a r53 at the same time which is a nice balance of 350 every 3 months tax and 22mpg along with 50+ in the derv.. I'm ranting a bit but is the M3 it worth it.. I'm really trying to convince myself cause this year might be my chance

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: E46 M3 daily

I think if ye have to think about the price of the tax as a big worry then your not in a position to run one, it will only take away some of the enjoyment, I only had a 2.5 and the tax was too much and with the 20 mpg I was gettin and running a second car aswell it just wasn't practical.

BMWHaus Contributor

To me the tax is the recurring problem..maintenance albit expensive wont be a constant like that. .yea it may throw up a bill of a good few hundred or on rare occasion into the 0000..but with circa 10k a year I wouldn't expect it to fall apart regularly..mpg not to be worried about ive ran worse and the mini is shite on fuel also

BMWHaus Contributor

I think if you're going to buy one have a years tax saved for. Tax it for the year or not at all.

It's €200 extra to pay by the quarter. Just no sense to that.

BMWHaus Guru

The tax isn't really that bad, the difference is €25 per week, that's nothing really, it gets you into a car that just puts a smile on your face all the time. I would suggest keeping the 320 as well though, you appreciate an M a lot more when you can step away from it for a bit. I have a work vehicle and every time I climb into the M after driving it for a few days is like Nirvana.

You absolutely will not regret it and if you do, it's very easy to cash out, lose nothing and at least you can satisfy the itch. You won't regret it though, the reality of owning one isn't near as bad as the internet would lead you believe. Yes, everything consumable is nearly twice the price but you get used to it and it's worth every penny.

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Ford 2
    Lads I only have 1 question really..fuel and Mparts aside. .what way do ye swallow road tax..I've dreamed and agonised over an M3 but was not in a position to have one as a sole car all down to the price of tax..the simplest way I can break it down is 42e a week..42e a week before the cars even started..not been a cheap c*** but 500 odd every 3 months is noting to be sniffed at. .I currently run my 320d and a r53 at the same time which is a nice balance of 350 every 3 months tax and 22mpg along with 50+ in the derv.. I'm ranting a bit but is the M3 it worth it.. I'm really trying to convince myself cause this year might be my chance
    Good man carry on....

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

Can't see the reason to drive it every day ,just can't .never ending traffic ,no place to speed up ,terrible roads ,no room to feel the joy to drive it .keep it for track day ,and spend road tax money to build it better for U ! That's my thought
    [hr]
    Maybe 3 summer months ,or max half year

BMWHaus Contributor

Tax it for 3 months at a go. Chances are you'll want to give it a break after 3 months and it's a good opportunity to do some maintenance work or mods. Just remember to declare it off the road or you'll get stung for back tax

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Guru

E46 M3 daily

Fucking buy one Jason - case closed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Guru

Always good to have a spare car alongside an ///M, I drive mine everyday and it does get a bit tiring handing out wads of money for everything from tax to insurance to fuel to watching the CBS indicator in iDrive warning of impending wallet opening (like brake discs/pads, etc.).

They are great though when you yo want to drop the hammer! Any you'd never tire of a proper exhaust note. Another alternative is to just drive it for 6 months of the year and garage it for the winter.

A word of warning, I would not put too much of a stretch on your wallet for a car. It's just not worth it. You want to be able to enjoy the car without worrying about the next big bill.
    Current Garage:
    e36 Convertible, e63 M6,F82 M4, R53 Cooper S, F57 JCW, R53 JCW GP1, Porsche Panamera, Porsche 991 C4S