Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: E46 M3 daily

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Guru

RE: E46 M3 daily

Each to their own, I run mine during the summer months not because of tax etc but I just prefer to drive it on long runs instead of urban driving IMO I would not enjoy it as a daily as much, never fails to put a smile on my face getting behind the wheel after the winter months though.

BMWHaus Guru

Its very usable as a daily, never found much issue myself driving in traffic. Guess the point there is that if you're going to be stuck in traffic - whats the point. Might depend on what your daily commute entails. I did always love the occasions where you could give it a blast though.

I never found maintenance to be a huge cost - it was terrifically reliable. The road tax is a ballache though, and I now find myself refusing to spend that much again.

Being in the top motor tax bracket becomes a little easier to deal with
    when you realise that you have exclusive rights to the outside lane.
    I only discovered recently Bmw even fits a little lever under the steering
    wheel you can pull to signal to drivers of inferior engine sizes that they've
    mistakenly strayed into your lane.

BMWHaus Guru

E46 M3 daily

I've been taking mine quarterly but only because I haven't kept a daily driver longer than 6 months in the last few years until now.

I use mine as a daily but don't drive at peak times so I get to enjoy it (within reason)

I prefer it to the e92 m3 as a daily and can't imagine what I'd change it for so I might well put 12 months on it when it's up in February.

BMWHaus Guru

Actually JohnH I've been meaning to ask why you prefer the e46 over the e92? The V8 note is fantastic.
    Current Garage:
    e36 Convertible, e63 M6,F82 M4, R53 Cooper S, F57 JCW, R53 JCW GP1, Porsche Panamera, Porsche 991 C4S

Quote Originally Posted by rebel.ranter
    Actually JohnH I've been meaning to ask why you prefer the e46 over the e92? The V8 note is fantastic.
    Too fast for him it's a licence loser

BMWHaus Guru

E46 M3 daily

I think the build quality of the e46 is better, my e92 had over €5k in warranty claims in less than a year and 6,000 kms of use. I'm ok replacing wear and tear items, even before they go but I think such a level of issues isn't acceptable.

From a driving perspective overall I prefer the straight 6 over a v8 for what is predominantly an urban commute. While the e92 is faster overall, especially on the motorway I always felt there was a certain inertia to overcome from a standing start, whereas the straight 6 in the e46 feels like it has less and gets going quicker. As a result I think the e46 feels faster to drive around town.

I do miss the note of the v8 alright, especially on the last burst of my drive home up a hill, through the village but I'm not one for modifying in pursuit of more noise

Quote Originally Posted by Gar
    Too fast for him it's a licence loser
    Ah no, I just put down C Healy as the driver's name when the points arrive in the post!

E46 M3 daily

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH
    Ah no, I just put down C Healy as the driver's name when the points arrive in the post!
    That's me, taking it for the team

I with John on this one, as I've always said, the build quality on all models after the E46/39 era just went downhill.

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by healyc82
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH
    That's me, taking it for the team

I with John on this one, as I've always said, the build quality on all models after the E46/39 era just went downhill.
    Do you have 2 accounts on this? :huh:

BMWHaus Guru

Well I can understand that given my warranty rally with the e63. I'm reaching over the €17k mark at this stage and I'm not 1 full year in to ownership. I think it has settled down now, that gives the 630i a chance to take some of my money for repairs.

I think the e39 was far better a build quality than the e6x generation.
    Current Garage:
    e36 Convertible, e63 M6,F82 M4, R53 Cooper S, F57 JCW, R53 JCW GP1, Porsche Panamera, Porsche 991 C4S