I've got a bmcables diagnostic cable for my 6er and it works well for INPA etc. but no matter how much I've tried I can't get DIS working.

I need it to check the battery as it's low when off at 12.1V and I'm starting to get battery charge errors every once in a while (no other problems yet luckily).
The battery in it isn't BMW it's a varta 110ah and I bet it was never coded (may have been 90ah before?).

Anyway back to DIS...
So I was getting the Error 200.166 (Communication between the operating unit and diagnostic head is imparied.) (sometimes an error 200.159)

Virus and Firewall turned off.

Before loading I checked the Edibas.ini and the IP, port and Interface are set correctly
DiagnosticPort=6801
RemoteHost=192.168.68.1
Interface=STD:OBD

The OBD.ini file in Edibas/bin and in Windows/ is the same.
They both have COM1 as USB
[OBD]
Port=Com1
RETRY=ON
Hardware=USB
[UNIT_B]
Hardware=OBD
Port=Com3

I'm not 100% on this as device manager shows the USB Serial Port (COM3)?
I did change both OBD.ini to COM3 as the USB but it didn't make a difference.

So when running DIS from the bmcable launcher it runs VMware player (WMware Workstation Player 12) and loads up without any warnings.
In the ADMINISTRATOR menu under DIS>CALIBRATING TOUCH SCREEN
I have ran through all the menus and everything seems to be set correctly.
1 CONFIGURE EDIBAS
->3 CONFIGURE IP ADDRESS - RemoteHost = 192.168.68.1
->2 PERFORM APITEST - Fehlertext: NET-0016: HOST ERROR

2 CONFIGURE PROCESSES
->1 SHOW CONFIGURATION - vm is set to not run; nsw/dsm is set to run

3 CONFIGURE PROTOCOL TRANSLATOR
->SHOW CURRENT TRANSLATOR - Revision number:1.6 (Fister)

7 SCOADMIN NETWORK
-> there are two networks, both are set correctly, I did not delete and re-add the second one as it was set up correctly
Use DHCP-Assigned Address: No
Local Hos Name: gt1ap
IP Address: 192.168.68.30
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Broadcast address: 192.168.68.255

I've eventually gotten VMware Virtual Network Config working for Workstation Player 12.1.0 by extracting the vmnetcfg.exe file from the full version, it now allows me to set the sub net to 192.168.68.0

I can also ping 192.168.68.1 and .30 without any problems so they're active.

I have also set up the hosts files on both the local computer and on the VMware to contain these
127.0.0.1 localhost
192.168.68.1 diaghead diaghead
192.168.68.30 gt1ap gt1ap
192.168.68.32 gt1ap2 gt1ap2

I also have IFHSrv32 running before I start DIS.

With all that done I can now pass the point of the error but now I get:

Warning
There is no connection to a diagnostic head.
To be able to start a diagnosis session with a vehicle, you must first establish a connection to a diagnostic head!
If you first wish to establish a connection to the diagnostic head, acknowledge with "Cancel".
For manual identification, continue with "OK"

So...
If I cancel I can manually go to the diagnostic menu and go through but cannot get past the "Register Battery Change" menu item.
If I do a manual entry and I do a "Quick test" it definitely checks the car as the dash items bing when it's checking and then some items get highlighted in black.

If I go back to the API check the error has changed...
In the ADMINISTRATOR menu under DIS>CALIBRATING TOUCH SCREEN
1 CONFIGURE EDIBAS
->2 PERFORM APITEST - Fehlertext: NET-0009: TIMEOUT

Does anyone have any ideas how I can get past the "Register Battery Change" menu?