Thread: Recommend me a leather restoration/colour change kit?

BMWHaus Guru

Recommend me a leather restoration/colour change kit?

Evening all!

Need some advice on this please. My experience with seats goes as far as taking them out and putting them back in a car. This hopefully will seriously change in the near future all going well.

Looking to source a good kit that will both give a clean and change colour.

I've been searching around online but find it all a bit confusing. I know a few on here are very knowledgeable on matters like this so any tips or tricks on the restoration process would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    This is my BMW. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My BMW is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My BMW, without me, is useless. Without my BMW, I am useless. I must drive my BMW true......

BMWHaus Contributor
    This was the one I used Dave a few years back

https://www.furnitureclinic.com/Leat...lorant_Kit.php

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by EndaC View Post
    This was the one I used Dave a few years back

https://www.furnitureclinic.com/Leat...lorant_Kit.php
    What did you make of it, Enda?
    This is my BMW. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My BMW is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My BMW, without me, is useless. Without my BMW, I am useless. I must drive my BMW true......

BMWHaus Guru
    Any work that Austin did for me was with Furniture Clinic products. I would have sent a small piece of leather to them to match for colour, quality was very good.

BMWHaus Guru
    Good to know there's two members recommending the one product! Excellent, thanks Andy!

BMWHaus Contributor
    I think I bought the large kit or else the extra large and I had a huge amount left over. The leather prep solution that removed the old paint I found I could have done with more of it. I was using it sparingly by the end.

The airbrush that comes with it as well is pretty poor. It's a simple one that runs off cans of propellant but it's difficult to get a consistent flow of paint with that type. I have my own compressor driven airbrush that is much better for the job.

Overall though it's a good kit, the main thing like with any painting is to get the preparation right

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by EndaC View Post
    I think I bought the large kit or else the extra large and I had a huge amount left over. The leather prep solution that removed the old paint I found I could have done with more of it. I was using it sparingly by the end.

The airbrush that comes with it as well is pretty poor. It's a simple one that runs off cans of propellant but it's difficult to get a consistent flow of paint with that type. I have my own compressor driven airbrush that is much better for the job.

Overall though it's a good kit, the main thing like with any painting is to get the preparation right
    So you'd recommend sourcing another airbrush? Must look into that one.

BMWHaus Contributor
    Well the airbrush will the kit will work fine especially when it's included in the price. I think its a Badger one which are a pretty common brand for entry level airbrushes.
    Personally I favour DeVilbiss, I've had two of their Dagr airbrushes for about 8 years now and they work flawlessly every time. It probably wouldn't be worth buying one though if it's only this one job you'll be using it on