Thread: Odd E36 vent issue

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Guru

Odd E36 vent issue

Have a slightly odd one - no amount of googling has resolved it. The bowden cable for the vent direction knob will only click into place one way at each end. When I removed it to fit the new dash, it was working fine. When I reconnected it after fitting the new dash, the controls were flipped.

So in the image below, having it on the window demister setting would actually have the vents active between the face / feet settings.

The vent knob itself also only fits on one way - and at this stage its getting irritating. Anyone have something similar happen in the past? I'm presuming I need to get all the dash out again and flip something in behind it, but don't want to go ripping it apart if there's a simpler solution.

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by kdevitt View Post
    Have a slightly odd one - no amount of googling has resolved it. The bowden cable for the vent direction knob will only click into place one way at each end. When I removed it to fit the new dash, it was working fine. When I reconnected it after fitting the new dash, the controls were flipped.

So in the image below, having it on the window demister setting would actually have the vents active between the face / feet settings.

The vent knob itself also only fits on one way - and at this stage its getting irritating. Anyone have something similar happen in the past? I'm presuming I need to get all the dash out again and flip something in behind it, but don't want to go ripping it apart if there's a simpler solution.

You're 100% correct on what you're saying. Can only imagine it's more than annoying. I've had the whole thing out before and I'm trying to remember what I did. Not much help at the minute but I'll come back to you on it if I can recall.
    This is my BMW. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My BMW is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My BMW, without me, is useless. Without my BMW, I am useless. I must drive my BMW true......

BMWHaus Contributor
    Think I have the same issue on the new car.

Previous owner had the dash apart of fit an original radio and probably did the same.

BMWHaus Guru
    Ken, I'm just packaging up one of these full units for someone and a thought occurred. Are you missing the clear plastic locking plate behind the front where the knobs sit? Realoem seems to be down so I can't post a link.
    This is my BMW. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My BMW is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My BMW, without me, is useless. Without my BMW, I am useless. I must drive my BMW true......

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Venom View Post
    Ken, I'm just packaging up one of these full units for someone and a thought occurred. Are you missing the clear plastic locking plate behind the front where the knobs sit? Realoem seems to be down so I can't post a link.
    Good thinking - I might very well be - I'm buying a new faceplate and will have a goo while its off.