Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home Computer Help??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Home Computer Help??

I'm looking for a little computer advice at the moment if anybody a little wiser could help.
    My current home computer is starting to show signs that the end may be nigh, it has frozen
    a few times and shut itself off twice. I have no cause for complaint as it has offered fault free
    service and fast start ups for the last 4 years. It's a Dell XPS 8500 with the following spec:

Memory 8192MB (4x2GB) 1600MHz DDR3 Dual Channel
    Video Card AMD Radeon™ HD 7570 1GB DDR5 Graphics Card
    Hard Drive 1TB Serial ATA (7,200 rpm)
    Optical Devices 16x DVD +/- RW Drive (read/write CD & DVD)
    Sound Cards Integrated 7.1 with WAVE MAXXAudio 4

I want to make the plunge and upgrade with something off the Dell website again.
    Budget is in around €800/900 without a monitor. The problem is I'm clueless when
    it comes to reading computer spec. If anybody who's knowledgable about such stuff
    would be able to spend 5 minutes browsing the Dell desktop section and maybe pointing
    me towards something I'd be eternally greatful.

http://www.dell.com/ie/p/desktops?s=dhs&~ck=mn

BMWHaus Guru
    What do you use your computer for really depends on which one. Internet browsing or running games and programmes. ?

Sent from a land far far away

Thanks for the reply. The computer is used for browsing the Internet and editing and storing photographs. No gaming.

BMWHaus Guru
    What do you use to edit ? I know photoshop can be quite heavy on a computer. Personally I have 4gb ram (would like higher but not needed to much if not gaming) and a ssd instead of a hdd. Ssd have huge speed increase over a standard hdd drive. For your price range tho you can get something fairly nice. The dell inspiron around €650 would be perfect there's not much need for something higher unless it's for gaming and most of dells stuff is built into a monitor not by the looks of there website so unless you want to spend 1000 plus on Alienware that's about the best dell offer

Sent from a land far far away

BMWHaus Guru
    How much of the 1Tb disk space is used?

The spec you've outlined on your existing machine sounds like its decent enough for a home machine that does what you've said. If performance has disimproved then, if you're disk isn't nearly full then defragging the disk might help (depending on your operating system version its likely to be under Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Defragment your hard drive), empty your recycle bin, clear cookies, temporary internet files, etc. and see if that helps a bit. If your drive is more than about 80% full then a cleanup there would probably help performance a bit too (if you clean out unnecessary files, don't forget to empty the recycle bin too). If there isn't much you can clean up then a hard drive upgrade might eek a bit more life out of the machine. After that, checking that all patches, etc. are all up to date would be useful. Sometimes these can be a factor in machines slowing down over time.

Unless you really feel the need for a new machine, I'd say that you could get more life out of what you have with a little bit of maintenance, as above. If its not something you're comfortable with doing yourself then if you have a PC World or some other PC Repair provider then they can probably do all of this for a fairly small cost.

Just a thought in our "built in obsolescence", throwaway consumer goods world
    Current: BMW 530e M-Sport - '17, BMW 630i Sport auto - '07, BMW 325i Coupe - '93, BMW Z4 2.5si Auto - '07, '90 BMW 316i Lux.

Previous: BMW 328i Coupe - '96, BMW 530i SE auto - '07, BMW 530i Sport auto - '02, BMW 318i SE Touring - '07, BMW 330Ci Sport - '04, BMW 520d SE - '11, BMW 523i SE - '00, BMW 328i SE Touring - '00, BMW 523i SE - '97, BMW 323i SE - '98, 330Ci - '00, 325i Coupe - '93, 318Ci - '01, 316iSE - '98, 325iSE 2dr - '91, 320i Conv - '91, 325i Coupe - '92, 320i 2dr - '91.

BMWHaus Guru
    As said your current machine is decent enough spec. I would hang onto it, upgrade to an SSD drive, €100 gets you a 250GB SSD drive nowadays. Reinstall your OS onto the SSD along with your applications and use the 1TB as storage.

BMWHaus Guru
    I would give similar advice of repairing/reinstalling the OS or SSD upgrade, but another option if you're set on a new PC would be to recycle some of your existing components into a new machine and build your own. You could use the following:

Memory 8192MB (4x2GB) 1600MHz DDR3 Dual Channel
    Video Card AMD Radeon™ HD 7570 1GB DDR5 Graphics Card - Assuming its PCIe
    Hard Drive 1TB Serial ATA (7,200 rpm)
    Optical Devices 16x DVD +/- RW Drive (read/write CD & DVD)

If you're to go down the route of building your own PC, you'd need a case, motherboard, CPU (I5 would be fine), few case fans and PSU. Would advise as Dave said, get a SSD as your primary drive and use the 1TB drive as your repository. If you get a decent case and PSU, you can upgrade other parts in a few years at your leisure.

Considerably cheaper than buying a new PC (very easy to assemble), only downside if any component goes you'll have to chase the particular manufacturer for replacement.
    E92 Interlagos Blue M3 - Current
    F10 Sophisto Grey 530d M-Sport - Sold
    F21 M135i Estoril Blue - Sold
    E92 Sapphire Black 335d M-Sport
    - Sold
    E36 328i SE Low Miler - Sold
    E46 Estoril Blue M3 - Sold
    E46 Titan Silver 330ci Clubsport - Sold
    E36 Cosmos Black 318is - Dead

Thank you one and all for the replies, much appreciated.
    Some more info on the machine itself. I have absolutely no problems with it's speed
    or storage capacity. It starts up quite quickly and never noticeably slows while carrying
    out any task. My only concern is I feel something fairly major is failing inside it.
    With increasing frequency I'm starting to get problems starting up where the monitor won't
    automatically switch on even though you can hear the computer starting up. After resetting
    to rectify this I get the black screen message telling me windows has recovered from a major
    fault and needs to check stuff before continuing.
    In all I'd say this has probably happened about 6 times in the last month. When the machine does it's
    check and then starts as normal everything performs flawlessly again.

On another totally unrelated note, while I have ye here, is there a way to get an old laptop running xp
    working again when you've forgotten the user and admin log in passwords?

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by xworks View Post
    On another totally unrelated note, while I have ye here, is there a way to get an old laptop running xp
    working again when you've forgotten the user and admin log in passwords?

Download this:

https://falconfour.wordpress.com/201...b-v4-6-f4ubcd/

Burn to CD, boot from it and there is a tool to reset/display local windows passwords.
    E92 Interlagos Blue M3 - Current
    F10 Sophisto Grey 530d M-Sport - Sold
    F21 M135i Estoril Blue - Sold
    E92 Sapphire Black 335d M-Sport
    - Sold
    E36 328i SE Low Miler - Sold
    E46 Estoril Blue M3 - Sold
    E46 Titan Silver 330ci Clubsport - Sold
    E36 Cosmos Black 318is - Dead

BMWHaus Guru
    On a very old dell machine myself right now and running xp. Have been getting very similar issues but I had assumed it was in part due to the fact Microsoft discontinued support for XP last year IIRC?
    This is my BMW. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My BMW is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My BMW, without me, is useless. Without my BMW, I am useless. I must drive my BMW true......