Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roundabout Lanes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Roundabout Lanes

Here's an interesting one from Boards, (NOT ME!!)

Accident occurred between Red and Blue. The yellow line is where the Red wanted to exit.

Now it seems clear to me, Red driver is 100% at fault but not everyone agrees.

Thoughts on here?

BMWHaus Guru
    Red driver clearly at fault

Makes for interesting reading,
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057571656/1

One of the many many posts on there,
    "But the rules of the road state left hand lane for exits 1 and 2, So OP (Red car) was correct"

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by RossYB View Post
    Makes for interesting reading,
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057571656/1

One of the many many posts on there,
    "But the rules of the road state left hand lane for exits 1 and 2, So OP (Red car) was correct"
    Nah - it doesn't. Clearly specifies that that its doesn't apply past 12 O'Clock.

The only interesting thing in that thread is how many idiots seem to be on our roads, and boards.ie
    Attached Images Attached Images

Both f*cked up in my opinion, blue should have indicated and changed to the outer lane at about the 20-25 past mark of the image. Red entered the roundabout in the wrong lane and should be on the inner circle and should have indicated and changed lane after the turn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Guru
    There's a joint liability in my opinion. Red was in the wrong lane for the exit he intended to take. Blue is in a position that there were two lanes in to roundabout, on the roundabout and two lanes out so in principle he was making a valid maneuver (although, in my opinion it would have been more correct to be in the left lane coming on to, on the roundabout and exiting the roundabout, or to have moved from right lane to left lane on the roundabout before exiting), but was not sufficiently road aware of Red.

Primary negligence on the part of Red, with contributory negligence from Blue - I'd give it 75%/25% Red/Blue for a split, or 100% Red for a single liability.
    Current: BMW 530e M-Sport - '17, BMW 630i Sport auto - '07, BMW 325i Coupe - '93, BMW Z4 2.5si Auto - '07, '90 BMW 316i Lux.

Previous: BMW 328i Coupe - '96, BMW 530i SE auto - '07, BMW 530i Sport auto - '02, BMW 318i SE Touring - '07, BMW 330Ci Sport - '04, BMW 520d SE - '11, BMW 523i SE - '00, BMW 328i SE Touring - '00, BMW 523i SE - '97, BMW 323i SE - '98, 330Ci - '00, 325i Coupe - '93, 318Ci - '01, 316iSE - '98, 325iSE 2dr - '91, 320i Conv - '91, 325i Coupe - '92, 320i 2dr - '91.

I can't believe the waffle on that forum, people should step back for a moment, forget what they do and don't know about roundabouts and look at them with some logic. Treat any of those turns like they were separate little junctions- would you be in a lane to go straight if you intend taking a left or be in the lane for making the left if you fancy going straight?

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by FunkySeeFunkyDoo View Post
    I can't believe the waffle on that forum, people should step back for a moment, forget what they do and don't know about roundabouts and look at them with some logic. Treat any of those turns like they were separate little junctions- would you be in a lane to go straight if you intend taking a left or be in the lane for making the left if you fancy going straight?

finally a proper way of putting it. half this country can't use roundabouts

I have a few of these 3 exit roundabouts on my daily drive and this type of fcukwittery occurs regularly.
    My view with these is that the outside lane should be used when taking the first exit.
    The inside lane is for second and third exits and you're entitled to stay there if those exits are dual lane, like this example. If not, move into the outside lane after passing the first exit.
    I'd put 75/25 blame on red and blue here.

BMWHaus Contributor
    I'd put the blame on the council. There seems to be no road markings.