Thread: E61 Low Battery Charge

E61 Low Battery Charge

Hi Guy's,

Am getting a low battery charge on my 08 E61. I imagine the battery is shot as it is resetting my clock and date. I have called Duffys and they want E350 for a replacement battery, registering and coding which to me seems ridiculous.

Have been doing a little research and told standard 5 series battery is no good as I have stop start technology. I have been in halford's and am told I need an AGM battery which is for stop start technology cars with brake regeneration. Seemingly these cars don't have an alternator?? They can supply for E219. However I am worried that they won be able to register and code?

Can anyone give me the definitive on how to buy a battery and get it installed for as little as possible? Who should I get to install does it need registering and coding?

Thanks
    14 BMW 520d M Sport Auto
    11 BMW 118d M Sport Coupe
    08 BMW 520d M Sport Touring
    11 BMW 520d MSport
    09 BMW 520d M Sport
    10 BMW 520d M Sport
    09 BMW 320d SE
    06 BMW 525 M Sport
    02 BMW M5
    98 BMW M3 Evo
    95 BMW 320
    92 BMW 318

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Bavarianbanger View Post
    Hi Guy's,

Am getting a low battery charge on my 08 E61. I imagine the battery is shot as it is resetting my clock and date. I have called Duffys and they want E350 for a replacement battery, registering and coding which to me seems ridiculous.

Have been doing a little research and told standard 5 series battery is no good as I have stop start technology. I have been in halford's and am told I need an AGM battery which is for stop start technology cars with brake regeneration. Seemingly these cars don't have an alternator?? They can supply for E219. However I am worried that they won be able to register and code?

Can anyone give me the definitive on how to buy a battery and get it installed for as little as possible? Who should I get to install does it need registering and coding?

Thanks
    Assuming you're Northside pop into Courtneys

http://courtneymotors.simi.ie/Contact+Us.html

BMWHaus Contributor
    Your car does not have start stop technology and you dont have brake regeneration and you do have an alternator.
    You have a start stop button thats it.
    Yuasa batterry for your car is 115 euros in Halfords. 5 years warranty. Any half decent garage can register your battery and change battery settings for less than 50 euros.

Quote Originally Posted by GERMANIKS View Post
    Your car does not have start stop technology and you dont have brake regeneration and you do have an alternator.
    You have a start stop button thats it.
    Yuasa batterry for your car is 115 euros in Halfords. 5 years warranty. Any half decent garage can register your battery and change battery settings for less than 50 euros.
    Hi Thanks for your reply. So your saying I can put a normal non agm battery in my car? Halfords standard battery is E119? I went into halfords UK site and it gives two options 1) Non Stop Start thats is the E119 battery and 2) Stop start tech which I have the stop start button for at E219

You reckon I will get away with the standard battery?
    14 BMW 520d M Sport Auto
    11 BMW 520d MSport
    09 BMW 520d M Sport
    10 BMW 520d M Sport
    09 BMW 320d SE
    06 BMW 525 M Sport
    02 BMW M5
    98 BMW M3 Evo
    95 BMW 320
    92 BMW 318

BMWHaus Guru
    Is your original battery black or white?

Black = AGM
    White = Lead Acid

Ideally an AGM should be replaced with an AGM battery and most recommendations are that you should "ideally" replace a Lead Acid battery with an AGM as it has a better lifespan.

However a regular lead acid battery will work just fine as long as it is registered (and coded where appropriate).

Take a photo of the original battery or more down the 11 digit part number in the battery (xx xx x xxx xxx format) and post here if you're not sure.

Germaniks in this thread can register (& code) it for you, for a small fee.

Hi I had a look at the battery and it turns out to be a black one so I imagine its AGM please find photo attached
    Attached Images Attached Images
    14 BMW 520d M Sport Auto
    11 BMW 520d MSport
    09 BMW 520d M Sport
    10 BMW 520d M Sport
    09 BMW 320d SE
    06 BMW 525 M Sport
    02 BMW M5
    98 BMW M3 Evo
    95 BMW 320
    92 BMW 318

BMWHaus Contributor
    Hi I had a look at the battery and it turns out to be a black one so I imagine its AGM please find photo attached
    Yes sure you have AGM but you do not have to upgrade to AGM.
    The main advantages of AGM batteries is that they can deliver high burst of power on demand (Mandatory for Start/Stop technology, which once again, your car does not have!)
    Charges about 5 times faster than a normal battery.
    They do not spill in case of an accident
    They can be mounted in any position.

AGM batteries cost twice as much on average compared to a standard battery. Your call. No real advantage in changing to a new AGM unless your car has Start/Stop technology. You have a start/stop button, which has nothing to do with the start/stop technology.

This is Start/Stop technology by BMW here:
    http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t..._function.html

Your battery drain may be due to a few different things too. You may end up putting a new battery in and still have a battery drain issue. Typically on e6x/e9x/e7x cars a faulty module could cause a drain. A faulty IBS sensor in the negative lead could cause a battery drain etc.

Yes sure you have AGM but you do not have to upgrade to AGM.
    The main advantages of AGM batteries is that they can deliver high burst of power on demand (Mandatory for Start/Stop technology, which once again, your car does not have!)
    Charges about 5 times faster than a normal battery.
    They do not spill in case of an accident
    They can be mounted in any position.

AGM batteries cost twice as much on average compared to a standard battery. Your call. No real advantage in changing to a new AGM unless your car has Start/Stop technology. You have a start/stop button, which has nothing to do with the start/stop technology.

This is Start/Stop technology by BMW here:
    http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t..._function.html

Your battery drain may be due to a few different things too. You may end up putting a new battery in and still have a battery drain issue. Typically on e6x/e9x/e7x cars a faulty module could cause a drain. A faulty IBS sensor in the negative lead could cause a battery drain etc.
    Thanks for that Germaniks. I understand what your saying my wife's 3 series has stop start. So I can just buy a standard battery in halford's so? If I bring it to you can you register and code it for me or can they do this in Halford"s too?
    14 BMW 520d M Sport Auto
    11 BMW 520d MSport
    09 BMW 520d M Sport
    10 BMW 520d M Sport
    09 BMW 320d SE
    06 BMW 525 M Sport
    02 BMW M5
    98 BMW M3 Evo
    95 BMW 320
    92 BMW 318

BMWHaus Contributor
    Thanks for that Germaniks. I understand what your saying my wife's 3 series has stop start. So I can just buy a standard battery in halford's so? If I bring it to you can you register and code it for me or can they do this in Halford"s too?
    Yes sure Halfords Yuasa battery. 90ah is fine. They cant code in Halfords no. Yes can do that for you in Lucan no problem.

Talking

Yes sure Halfords Yuasa battery. 90ah is fine. They cant code in Halfords no. Yes can do that for you in Lucan no problem.
    Thanks very much for all your help I will PM you for directions etc
    14 BMW 520d M Sport Auto
    11 BMW 520d MSport
    09 BMW 520d M Sport
    10 BMW 520d M Sport
    09 BMW 320d SE
    06 BMW 525 M Sport
    02 BMW M5
    98 BMW M3 Evo
    95 BMW 320