Thread: Timing chain n43 318i 2009

Timing chain n43 318i 2009

Hi, had the timing chain tensioner replaced last year as had some ticking noises in the morning when the car was cold. The noise had seemed to go away but recently I think I hear it again. Is there anybody that I could bring it to get the chain checked? The car has done 67k miles. Don't want the chain snapping so am hoping to get it checked. How much would it cost for check and how much would it cost for the timing chain and the guides to be replaced? Is this a common issue on the petrol n43 or is it mainly on the diesel n47. As I have read so much on the Internet I am not sure if this is the problem or not. Thanks in advance.

BMWHaus Site Sponsor
    Hi !

yes petrol ones are common for chain fails as well .Depends where in the country U are ,if U be in Dublin we can have quick look ,free of charge .
    Motor Confidence-14b Knockmitten lane,Western ind est ,Naas road D12

Hi valdelis, thanks for your reply. I will bring it and you can have a look. I got your phone number so I will call you next week. Thanks

Hi valdelis what day are you opened next Monday or tuesday? Thanks

BMWHaus Site Sponsor
    open on Tuesday

Hi, sorry to ask here, but I dont want to open new thread just for this question.
    I have the same engine and with a help of a friend, we changed the chain today. But when camshaft locking tool was set and vanos units were out, we saw we forgot to unscrew the central bolt. During unscrewiung the flywheel/crankshaft unlocked and turned about(no more than) 40 degrees counterclockwise(against direction of engine rotatoin) . I did not here any noise. But do you know if there is a chance that the pistons and the valves had contact?
    Thank you.
    Ps. To anyone, I recommend experienced mechanik to do the job and with the right tools, so this can be avoided.

BMWHaus Site Sponsor
    i dont think U bent them ,and think U got it back running alreday

Yes, the car runs fine and cylinder smooth running test in inpa is normal/same for all cilynders. Interesting that my car has 230k km and the old chain was fine, 5mm longer than the new one. The guide rails showed some wear(1mm for the surface contacting the chain), but would last for another 230k. The biggest problem was one screw that holds the guide rail. It showed a lot of wear and also the hole in the rail was enlarged. I think it is a good idea this part to be changed profilactically on cars with more than 200k km. It is situated behind the hook for lifting the engine and can be done without opening the motor.
    Sorry for my bad english.

Quote Originally Posted by expl0de View Post
    and the old chain was fine, 5mm longer than the new one.
    5mm stretch means it was scrap. I've seen chains on N57 diesels fail now - one was so stretched, the valves were just tickling the pistons!