Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E46 325ci Issue ...

E46 325ci Issue ...

FINALLY got round to getting my password reset and iam back in action lol

ANYWAYS

Girlfriends e46 325ci very recently threw up an engine light and when i had the codes read it was saying 3 out of the 4 sensors in the manifold ( bank 1 , bank 2 etc ) were faulty...

Now i know the chances of all three being faulty at exactly the same time are slim to none ,

So after some googling about it seems to be pointing to a vacuum leak somewhere thats causing havoc with the sensors ...

Has anyone experienced this on a E46 engine and did they locate it ? iam being told that smoking the engine ( lol) can show up the vacuum leak but wouldnt have the first idea where to start on this ...

Just wondered of anyone had a similar problem and how they got to the end of it .... otherwise its into a garage with it ... something id be keen to avoid

all suggestions gratefully received

BMWHaus Guru
    I had awful issues with mine, similar sounding error codes to what you mention. Changed part after part, sensor after sensor - process of elimination style. Turned out to be the DISA unit. There's a flimsy enough butterfly valve in there, that seems to be the weak point.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    I had awful issues with mine, similar sounding error codes to what you mention. Changed part after part, sensor after sensor - process of elimination style. Turned out to be the DISA unit. There's a flimsy enough butterfly valve in there, that seems to be the weak point.
    yea iam pretty sure its not any of the sensors as for all three of them to go faulty at the one times is VERY odd ...
    everything was pointing to a vacuum leak but now you have me wondering

Where did ya source the DISA ?

BMWHaus Guru
    Definitely was getting misfire errors and bank this and bank that. They said to me it could be anything, vacuum leak, MAF, sensors, you name it but all the work was through AC cars at the time, so I presume they got it the parts including DISA from M&G.

Would have been a new genuine part anyway, along with everything else I changed! None of the error codes pointed towards the DISA though that's what makes me suspect that straight away when I saw the codes you mentioned.

Definitely was getting misfire errors and bank this and bank that. They said to me it could be anything, vacuum leak, MAF, sensors, you name it but all the work was through AC cars at the time, so I presume they got it the parts including DISA from M&G.

Would have been a new genuine part anyway, along with everything else I changed! None of the error codes pointed towards the DISA though that's what makes me suspect that straight away when I saw the codes you mentioned.
    i dont like the sound of this lol

i see theres rebuild kits available ... did you look at that option or was it something electrical within the unit that broke .... or was it a break down in the flap mechanism ?
    Last edited by DamienOS; 30-03-16 at 16:35.

BMWHaus Guru
    In fairness, they offered to take all the other bits back and refit the old working bits, leaving me with a new DISA which was the issue but at that stage there was no point really.

I had similar problem myself just few weeks ago on e39. Bank 1 and bank 2 running lean. Lower intake boot had big crack in the part that goes to idle control valve.

Quote Originally Posted by mcung13 View Post
    I had similar problem myself just few weeks ago on e39. Bank 1 and bank 2 running lean. Lower intake boot had big crack in the part that goes to idle control valve.
    mate i think you have hit the nail on the head... did a lot of looking about online and seems massively common regarding the lower intake boot with cracks

i left the car running last night and listened down by the dipstick and sure enough theres a pretty audible sucking noise so i reckon thats the culprit... will be stripping it friday id say

BMWHaus Guru
    Hopefully that'll sort it!

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

Hopefully that'll sort it!

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk
    picking up a new lower boot for her tomorrow in David Prentice in Craigavon and ill strip it sunday and hopefully find the offending crack and replace..... if not - DUCT TAPE lol