Thread: PDC Failure.. tracing a faulty sensor

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

PDC Failure.. tracing a faulty sensor

ok Iam looking to get a few small niggles sorted on the m5 before i sell it and top of my list is the PDC ,

it works very occasionally but most of the time it just flashes the light and a pdc failure comes up on the dash ,

I do have a sensor on the front bumper that looks like its hit something so thats the focus of my concern ...

ive 2 questions ...

1 . is it true if i turn on the ignition and put it into reverse and listen very very closely to each sensor i should hear one thats not making a ticking noise ? i know the bmw diagnostic can pin point the exact sensor but taking it to a dealer for this really isnt realistic... am i on the right track ?

2 . has anyone on here any links / recommend somewhere to buy replacement sensors ? other than the main dealer again of course

Thanks in advance

BMWHaus Contributor
    Yep ye should hear a click from the ones that are working, is it a E39? There was someone selling some front sensors very recently for peanuts

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk
    sexy 6 potter

Quote Originally Posted by nigzcurran View Post
    Yep ye should hear a click from the ones that are working, is it a E39? There was someone selling some front sensors very recently for peanuts

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk
    nope E60 M5 mate

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by DamienOS View Post
    ok Iam looking to get a few small niggles sorted on the m5 before i sell it and top of my list is the PDC ,

it works very occasionally but most of the time it just flashes the light and a pdc failure comes up on the dash ,

I do have a sensor on the front bumper that looks like its hit something so thats the focus of my concern ...

ive 2 questions ...

1 . is it true if i turn on the ignition and put it into reverse and listen very very closely to each sensor i should hear one thats not making a ticking noise ? i know the bmw diagnostic can pin point the exact sensor but taking it to a dealer for this really isnt realistic... am i on the right track ?

2 . has anyone on here any links / recommend somewhere to buy replacement sensors ? other than the main dealer again of course

Thanks in advance
    Yes, you are. That works most of the time.
    If you're around Dublin you're welcome to stop by me and I'll read it with the Carly app

I've bought these in the past without problem

http://m.ebay.ie/itm/181707478201?_mwBanner=1

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    Yes, you are. That works most of the time.
    If you're around Dublin you're welcome to stop by me and I'll read it with the Carly app

I've bought these in the past without problem

http://m.ebay.ie/itm/181707478201?_mwBanner=1
    i actually have the carly App unit and test app but never forked out the 50e for the full app lol #DOH lol

Had similar problem with my e60, all sensors made a noise so hooked up her to inpa and found that one is working but reading false distance so replaced it. Unfortunately it didn't fix the problem so checked wires which are going into sensor and found out that one partially snapped inside so cutted dodgy piece off and fitted new piece of wire in between. ..all sorted

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Contributor
    The cursed PDC's sensors, I've replaced one or more in all my BMW's and did one on the sisters x1 last week.

I actually buy them on ebay, they are cheaper but you might have to colour code them yourself if there not on the plastic strip. Or BMW can get them them sprayed.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/222053512752

That's the person I bought them from but don't know if they have the e39 version.

The pulse you hear from the working sensors is very faint, you'd want to put your ear over it and avoid a noisy area when checking.

Quote Originally Posted by james forde View Post
    The cursed PDC's sensors, I've replaced one or more in all my BMW's and did one on the sisters x1 last week.

I actually buy them on ebay, they are cheaper but you might have to colour code them yourself if there not on the plastic strip. Or BMW can get them them sprayed.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/222053512752

That's the person I bought them from but don't know if they have the e39 version.

The pulse you hear from the working sensors is very faint, you'd want to put your ear over it and avoid a noisy area when checking.

its going for paint in the coming weeks hence why iam looking to identify the broken one now so i can have it painted while bumpers off