Thread: computer for the parents

BMWHaus Contributor

computer for the parents

Well it doesn't get much more off topic than this. The parents are looking for a laptop, they are completely hopeless when it comes to setting them up etc. I am living the other end of the country and would be no use to them. Any advise where to purchase a computer that can also offer a decent level of customer support/service etc .they live near maynooth.thanks in advance.

BMWHaus Guru

RE: computer for the parents

Quote Originally Posted by mac7
    Well it doesn't get much more off topic than this. The parents are looking for a laptop, they are completely hopeless when it comes to setting them up etc. I am living the other end of the country and would be no use to them. Any advise where to purchase a computer that can also offer a decent level of customer support/service etc .they live near maynooth.thanks in advance.

:P

On a serious note, have you considered something with a touch screen instead? Seems to take away the confusion factor a bit for the older person. Less buttons etc. Support I'm not sure on.

BMWHaus Contributor

Nice one I see you are familiar with their old computer. I thought the same as you got them a galaxy tablet for Christmas mother loves it. But it drove the auld lad demented he wants his buttons and mouse ,no moving screens and disappearing keyboards for him

BMWHaus Contributor

For when you do get the computer, might be worth installing some software such as log me in so you can remotely access the computer if/ invariably/ when, the shit hits the fan

BMWHaus Contributor

computer for the parents

Got my parents chrome books. They don't use word or anything, just internet for booking holidays, buying from amazon and buying cinema tickets. 2 support calls in 2 years - 1 because PDFs stopped working (plugin got disabled) and 1 because my mother wanted to add a link to gmail from the task bar.

Got a wireless epson printer & scanner, works flawlessly.

All sound advice, but to add to it.. ensure you get something running Windows 7 and NOT 8 - if it's shipped with 8 enquire about the ability to downgrade (more like upgrade) to Win 7 for them. Life will be much easier for them and ultimately for yourself!

BMWHaus Contributor

Thanks for all the advise, like the sound of the chrome books ,perfect for what he would be using a computer for (emails, Google streaming films and a bit of printing) ,the only downside I see is, the older you get the more blind you get (and he's fair old) I would be worried if a 14 " screen will be big enough. As for the remote access and Windows 7 if he gets the laptop it definitely make life easier for everyone.God help my kids when they have to buy tech for me in around 50 years " in my day a phone was for internet, satnav,games, calculator, emails, clock ooh and calls and I don't want none of that virtual projection teleportation fancy shit on my new phone " imagine where Id end up Thanks again everybody .

BMWHaus Contributor

Thanks for all the advise, like the sound of the chrome books ,perfect for what he would be using a computer for (emails, Google streaming films and a bit of printing) ,the only downside I see is, the older you get the more blind you get (and he's fair old) I would be worried if a 14 " screen will be big enough. As for the remote access and Windows 7 if he gets the laptop it definitely make life easier for everyone.God help my kids when they have to buy tech for me in around 50 years " in my day a phone was for internet, satnav,games, calculator, emails, clock ooh and calls and I don't want none of that virtual projection teleportation fancy shit on my new phone " imagine where Id end up Thanks again everybody .

BMWHaus Contributor

There's an extension you can install in chrome for remote desktop access:
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/chrome-remote-desktop/gbchcmhmhahfdphkhkmpfmihenigjmpp