Thread: March 2011 F11 timing tensioner fault

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

March 2011 F11 timing tensioner fault

Hi does anyone know if this is been covered by BMW under warranty? I drove my car to the garage two weeks ago and got a call the following day saying that the car would not start for them. Looks like the tensioner failed even thought I warned them. It is a full engine rebuild now with goodwill costing just under 5k. The car is 5 years old but high milage 300k.Any advise?

BMWHaus Site Sponsor
    there is no any warranty if car is not sold from garage under some extended warranty . how have u warned the garage about engines condition?i wouldnt take any car at all if somebody would tell me that they think something is wrong and it might broke but i must be carefull. if it happened ,it happened . i dont think it got big damage if it was just sitting in garage ,wasn't driving on some motorway so engine wasn't running high revs before something broke .btw it fails chains ,but not tensioners ! chain get stretched and only after tensioner might get out of his moving limits .
    Last edited by Valdelisbmw; 28-04-16 at 07:49.
    Motor Confidence-14b Knockmitten lane,Western ind est ,Naas road D12

BMWHaus Contributor
    I heard about this from a common friend Neilus. I hope they resolve it for you, was the tensioner losing pressure all the time or only when not being driven for a few days?

I bought a 2012 f10 and was told unless the car had full main dealer history or was sold from a main dealer they would not complete the work under BMW's goodwill. Seems a bit harsh considering a lot of e60's had their chain replaced with no main dealer history.... Some were even done that were sold privately???

From what I can gather the chain did not break
    Quote Originally Posted by james forde View Post
    I heard about this from a common friend Neilus. I hope they resolve it for you, was the tensioner losing pressure all the time or only when not being driven for a few days?

I bought a 2012 f10 and was told unless the car had full main dealer history or was sold from a main dealer they would not complete the work under BMW's goodwill. Seems a bit harsh considering a lot of e60's had their chain replaced with no main dealer history.... Some were even done that were sold privately???

Was in for a BMW service 15K beforehand and asked them to check out the timing chain they gave no concerns when went to collect. As soon as I heard the noise I arranged to bring to garage. I told them it only made the noise at startup and was fine for the rest of the day. Got call from garage saying it would start and wanted 1k appoval to investigate. Got official quote other day just shy of 10k damage. Full head overhaul and engine. I got goodwill for 50% I have to fork out just over 4k.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Don't believe what the dealer says about goodwill. The best you will do is €2000 and worst case €10000. It's a big hunk of cash. I had the car 4 and half years.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk