Thread: e92 Control Arm options

e92 Control Arm options

Apparently one of my lower control arm bushings is slightly torn and could do with replacement shortly. Local indy is quoting €217 + VAT for the OEM part. As I am close to getting a Birds B3 suspension kit (shocks and springs) is it worth considering replacing all 4 control arms with M3 parts (OEM or spurious eg TRW) or would there be any difference to OEM 335d/i parts?

This thread got me thinking http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788761 and a very quick search showed something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E92-E93-...-/151491629784

Thanks! :-)

BMWHaus Guru
    Be interested in this, need to replace my lower control arms too. I was thinking getting Lemforder or Meyle myself rather than OE, by the looks of that TRW are the OEM manufacturer of control arms?
    E92 Interlagos Blue M3 - Current
    F10 Sophisto Grey 530d M-Sport - Sold
    F21 M135i Estoril Blue - Sold
    E92 Sapphire Black 335d M-Sport
    - Sold
    E36 328i SE Low Miler - Sold
    E46 Estoril Blue M3 - Sold
    E46 Titan Silver 330ci Clubsport - Sold
    E36 Cosmos Black 318is - Dead

Ya it seems so. Granted my research extended to 5 mins on Google :-) hence the post to see if anyone had some first hand experience. I guess my questions are 1) would getting M3 parts actually make any difference? and if so 2) are TRW a good choice? If TRW are good it seems like a no brainer to replace the lot at once at that price.

BMWHaus Site Sponsor
    why would U need M3 arms ?

becouse front control arm has full bush ? not softer as non M3 arm? so can use powerflex bushes if want more stiff suspension ,but do it need for daily driving on irish roads?
    have changed lot of these bushes , as arm ball joints last much longer and didnt need full arm replacement ,depends on mileage of course ,and how, and where car was used

straight arm ?
    need more negative camber ? for road car? or again becouse of more stiff bush?
    original straight arms mostly wears ball joint but not bush , so another good make will last long enough.

my choice - first Lemforder or Meyle ,depends on price and if cant get in these makes ,would go for TRW

BTW if somebody wants to replace only complete arms or all arms , i dont blame them , if u can afford ,go ahead! makes huge change in cars handling and driving .
    Rear axle ones,mostly wears top - front and top - middle arms and rear lower axle hub bushes - ball joints

Track rods very common to wear or might be very rusty and cant be adjusted on tracking ,so worth to change them both and in complete units
    Last edited by Valdelisbmw; 05-05-16 at 22:42.
    Motor Confidence-14b Knockmitten lane,Western ind est ,Naas road D12

Cheers that's awesome. So options are 1) just replace bushing if you can or 2) if you want replace all, but with like for like, not M3 spec, and maybe do the track rod ends also. Thanks man!
    Last edited by fraser5454; 06-05-16 at 06:46.

BMWHaus Guru
    Thanks for that too! I'm going to replace the complete arm as the mileage is @ nearly 100k now, I'd say the ball joint probably wouldnt have much life left in it. Cool, I'll stick with Lemforder so, thanks
    - Sold

Nice job! Let me know where you will be buying as I may go the whole hog and replace as much as possible if I do the B3 upgrade too

BMWHaus Guru
    MrAuto is looking the best so far, although Mark mentioned a few spots on my thread too.
    - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Ketron View Post
    MrAuto is looking the best so far, although Mark mentioned a few spots on my thread too.
    You're a gent, thanks man!