Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on dealing with Insurance/Assessor

Advice on dealing with Insurance/Assessor

Hi Guys,

It's been a while since I've posted here, hope you've all been keeping well. I need your advice on dealing with insurance companies and/or insurance assessors.

Last night a drunk driver (my neighbour!) plowed into my car that was parked outside the house. No one was hurt and most importantly, none of the kids were outside playing at the time. I keep telling myself it's only a car and the main thing is that no one was hurt but I'm gutted.

Anyway, aside from all that. Never had to deal with these types of people before and I'm looking for tips on how to deal with them. As the other driver is in the wrong, his insurance company (Aviva) is going to try and minimise their liability by shafting me I guess.

Am I entitled to have it repaired by a BMW dealer?

If it's written off, what should I do now to build my case to establish the cars true worth?

Anything else I should be thinking of?

Thanks,

Mackie
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mackie; 14-05-16 at 07:24.

BMWHaus Guru
    First of all I hope the Garda where called, if not make sure that has happened.

Then make sure you have all the third parties details. If they have admitted liability, ring there insurance immediately. Unfortunately they won't do anything until they get confirmation from the third party of what has happened and admission of liability.

If they admit liability it should be straight forward enough from there on. Demand you want a "suitable" replacement vehicle for the full duration of repair or if the vehicle is deemed financially written off then until you have been paid.

From looking at the pic it has gotten a heavy bang. Hard to say but from experience with the E9x the front chassis legs bend very easy. If this is the case the third party will want to financially write it off. But this is your call, if you want it fixed, get it fixed or if your happy with the settlement amount then take that. None of this is your fault.

As for assessors, they generally just deal with the body shop to agree repair costs, they might call you to get some minimal details but that's about it.

Key thing is to note everything down, I mean everything. You'd be amazed how much you forget after an incident like this. Make sure you get claim numbers and the claim handlers name of who your dealing with.

I'd also give your own insurance a call just to let them know what's going on in case you need to involve them.

Btw, ignore the neighbour from now on. I'm sure they might offer cash to fix it but from that pic I'm sure it's gonna be a hefty bill. Just let the insurance deal with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Guru

Advice on dealing with Insurance/Assessor

Quote Originally Posted by Mackie View Post
    Hi Guys,

It's been a while since I've posted here, hope you've all been keeping well. I need your advice on dealing with insurance companies and/or insurance assessors.

Last night a drunk driver (my neighbour!) plowed into my car that was parked outside the house. No one was hurt and most importantly, none of the kids were outside playing at the time. I keep telling myself it's only a car and the main thing is that no one was hurt but I'm gutted.

Anyway, aside from all that. Never had to deal with these types of people before and I'm looking for tips on how to deal with them. As the other driver is in the wrong, his insurance company (Aviva) is going to try and minimise their liability by shafting me I guess.

Am I entitled to have it repaired by a BMW dealer?

If it's written off, what should I do now to build my case to establish the cars true worth?

Anything else I should be thinking of?

Thanks,

Mackie
    Sorry to hear that, glad no one was injured though.

The most important thing to bear in mind is that your neighbour damaged your car, not his insurance company. He has mitigated his risk through an insurance company. You have no contract or relationship with them and therefore are not obligated to do what they want.

So, to answer your first question, yes you can choose where you want to get it repaired. It's your car after all.

Secondly, the assessor will try to offer you the lowest trade in price that you would receive if you sold your car. However, if it is written off you need to buy a car to replace it. The best thing you can do is to find examples of the same (or as similar as possible) car for sale in Ireland or in the UK with the VRT calculations printed off too. Use that info as the basis for the amount you claim.

If the assessor tries to strong arm you to accept an offer you're not happy with be prepared to pass it over to a solicitor, and make sure to let them know as this is likely to increase their total cost to resolve the claim.

Good luck with it all though.
    Last edited by JohnH; 14-05-16 at 08:09.

Further info and a quick update

I did contact the Gardai, other driver failed roadside breathalyser and was arrested on suspicion of drink driving. He wouldn't speak to anyone or get out of his car. He refused an ambulance and walked out of the car when the Gardai took him away. I took loads of pictures and took a video of the scene.

I've reported the incident to his insurance company this morning but the Irish office is closed until Monday so spoke to UK office. Left details and they said someone would be in touch Monday.

My own insurance contacted me this morning after me reporting it last night. They explained the situation and said that I have two options;

1. Claim through my own insurance. They will send the car to their approved repairer. They will complete the repair (and/or get it assessed as to whether or not it's a write off) and they will claim back through his insurance company. My 'No Claims Bonus' will not be affected and will go down as a 'not my fault' claim (paraphasing). They will also claim back the excess I need to pay and any increases to my insurance premium for next year.

2. Claim from his insurance. Cons are that if they dispute my claim, my car will remain unrepaired until such time agreement is met. All the while, I am liable for car rental costs, storage, etc.

This is all new for me but at the moment, I'm leaning towards dealing through my own insurance. It gives me better bargaining power and in essence, it's for help with incidents like this that I've paid them handsomely over the years! Also, I would very much prefer to get the car fixed so I don't want to have to battle with some assessor. Although if I need to, to remedy the situation, I absolutely will hunker down and fight it to the bitter end. It is my pride and joy after all!!

Thanks to Conor and JohnH for the quick replies. Really good advice there, much appreciated.

BMWHaus Contributor
    Its nearly a pity that you were not in the car because when the other party is in the complete wrong insurance tend to get everything sorted out as quickly as possible for fear of personal injury claim.

I'd imaging you would pay a premium for a red car so you should look for cars advertised at higher prices and make links to your own car as to how it's similar and you would have to spend that much money to get the same car again. You should also insist on a rent a car until you get your agreed value. DO NOT give the rental car back until your agreed value is met, be as stubborn with them as possible. Remember it's your car and they have to agree a price with you to buy it.

If you broke something in a shop you would have to buy it for the marked price.

BMWHaus Site Sponsor
    It's Your choice to go to main dealer ! It's Your wrights !and they will do their own estimate .if it will be huge different ,they might start argue ,but it does t mean anything ,U should fix where U want ! Becouse it's not your fault ! End of story
    Motor Confidence-14b Knockmitten lane,Western ind est ,Naas road D12

BMWHaus Contributor
    Regardless of how long it takes for them to settle if liability falls on him then they have to pay for your rental car, how ever, be careful as using his insurance and main dealer will almost certainly write off your car. And will be worth less in the end, id argue a value on it and let them have it, and go buy another car, bad situation to be in looked a lovely car

BMWHaus Site Sponsor
    If it would cost to fix more as it cost ,check on VRT.ie what's the value of this car now online ,so U will have idea if they will ring U with price .So U have good prove to argue if it would be small money from their side .
    Motor Confidence-14b Knockmitten lane,Western ind est ,Naas road D12

BMWHaus Contributor
    Good idea to take a time stamp and value print out from VRT.ie

BMWHaus Contributor
    If he was drink driving does it not mean his insurance is void?
    Last edited by hooch; 16-05-16 at 15:28.