My SMG pump doesn't prime occasionally when firing up my 330ci, and I can't change gear. The clutch was replaced about 6 months ago, and the car has driven fine since then only developing this fault in the last month or so. Clearing faults with INPA resolves every time. As this is a 330, and not an M3, the SMG setup is a little diff to normal SMG - it doesn't have an SMG reservoir, and doesn't have the usual suspect salmon coloured relay.

I've replaced the ASC/Secondary Air Pump relay which is light orange in colour, and from forums/what dealerships have done to other 330's with SMG this relay is a component in priming the pump - it's in the same position as the salmon colour on an M3. The problem persists.

My gut is telling me it's the SMG pump itself, but once it primes it's absolutely perfectly fine - so perhaps some other gremlin? INPA isn't full of information, it states "A fault is no longer present, but stored in memory" - once I clear the fault, she starts fine. The bonnet is fully closed too - I know if the bonnet is open it'll refuse to start. Perhaps a hydraulic bleed of the gearbox would help?

Again - I'm looking for help with a non M3 SMG if anyone has experience of this box. When it came off for the clutch, it all came in one piece, there was no hydraulic lines to be disconnected, or much in terms of a wiring loom. It's very different to a normal SMG setup. And if anyone says the car has SSG, and not SMG, it is genuinely SMG - the BMW original IVS order screen shows it as SMG in the options list