Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: e46 330ci SMG locking up

BMWHaus Guru
    I should have mentioned that a pump failing will throw an error code for sure. The actuator failing may not throw an error code. That might help in determining the culprit.

The symptoms of a failed pump are that you don't get the "whizz" noise when you unlock the car when you would expect to (SMG owners will know what I mean).

Hopefully the fluid top off solved the issue.

I was about to write an update tomorrow to say 2 weeks on and everything was great - gearbox changes were smoother, car was priming for less time in the mornings, but it spectacularly shit itself this morning. Stuck in Mahon Point not able to select any gear at all and it defaulted to Neutral. Carly couldn't detect any codes, but INPA did. Looks like it's pump territory now. Badly taken photo of INPA attached. Towed home in shame
    Attached Images Attached Images

BMWHaus Guru
    That's the same code I got at the time.

Oh well, nobody died, it can be fixed relatively easy (even though not cheaply).

So she's in Kearys at the moment getting the new pump fitted, expect to get it back mid week. I've asked them to double check if there's a Technical Service Bulletin open for it as some of the early SMG boxes in the e46 had a problematic loom that should be replaced.

And got her back today. So much quieter when priming on unlocking, and gear changes are a lot snappier. Whoop!