Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: E46 M3 coding

BMWHaus Contributor
    maybe I am getting confused. I read that you can launch WINKFP which will tell you to which version update your DME. Supposedly makes the car drive better. Maybe it is for smg...

BMWHaus Contributor
    There is no update as far as I am aware, Its common for smg to adopt the csl smg software.

BMWHaus Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokyMo View Post
    maybe I am getting confused. I read that you can launch WINKFP which will tell you to which version update your DME. Supposedly makes the car drive better. Maybe it is for smg...
    Your are correct, BMW always release DME updates to correct bugs or improve other areas during the production life of the car and even after in some cases. Not uncommon to see up to 10 software updates for DME during the entire course of a production of a car.
    There are DME updates for the E46 M3 published in 2009 by BMW. But those will not affect your car most likely.

BMWHaus Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by GERMANIKS View Post
    Your are correct, BMW always release DME updates to correct bugs or improve other areas during the production life of the car and even after in some cases. Not uncommon to see up to 10 software updates for DME during the entire course of a production of a car.
    There are DME updates for the E46 M3 published in 2009 by BMW. But those will not affect your car most likely.
    my car is 2001 so I thought there might be some updates/fixes. but I am not able to find much info. Might just leave it... if its not broken, dont fix it... or break it.

I got the program of Martyn from m3cutters as pointed out by 318 iS Cosmos. Enabled shift lights, disabled SAP. If I wasnt paro, you can do these things quite easy with hex editor to mod your DME file. But for 20 quid its worth a try.

I also enabled burble/pop off temporarly but it didnt seem to work.. damn it.

Gonna look into what else I can code.

BMWHaus Contributor
    my car is 2001 so I thought there might be some updates/fixes. but I am not able to find much info. Might just leave it... if its not broken, dont fix it... or break it.

I got the program of Martyn from m3cutters as pointed out by 318 iS Cosmos. Enabled shift lights, disabled SAP. If I wasnt paro, you can do these things quite easy with hex editor to mod your DME file. But for 20 quid its worth a try.

Yeah for the sake of 20 quids
    All the flash updates I do turn the car into a very different car most of the time, runs a lot smoother and all, but that applies mainly to automatic cars. I could do yours, but unless it is SMG, I don't think you will notice the difference at all.

BMWHaus Contributor
    Can you explain what is a Checksum calculation for binary? Is it something to do with DME binary file encoding?

BMWHaus Contributor
    Checksum so something like a confirmation to ensure that the edit you have made is going to be read by the car and everything is compatible.

Programms such as bmw flash automatically check the checksum and correct it

BMWHaus Guru

Did you change the warm up light sequence? Standard sequence extinguishes too early @60 degrees C.

BMWHaus Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by schoonerm3 View Post
    Checksum so something like a confirmation to ensure that the edit you have made is going to be read by the car and everything is compatible.

Programms such as bmw flash automatically check the checksum and correct it
    Cheers for the knowledge!

Quote Originally Posted by 318 iS Cosmos View Post
    Did you change the warm up light sequence? Standard sequence extinguishes too early @60 degrees C.
    Yea I have done that.