Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Felling a very large tree

BMWHaus Guru

Felling a very large tree

Figured it was worth tying for an answer on here for this one. We moved house in October, kind of noticed the large tree in the back garden, but a wayward fence made us believe it was on the boundary. Turns out its actually firmly in our garden, the shed is about to topple over due to how big its gotten. As it stands, it spans 6 gardens including our own. The tree is a Monterey Cypress, tree surgeon guessed its about 70 years old.

If it was further away from the house and in a larger garden, I'd leave it, but it'll need to come down, which is not cheap unfortunately. Does anyone know if the council will potentially look at removing a house on private land if its potentially damaging other property? I'm guessing they won't.

Also - given that there is a substantial trunk on this thing, and by accounts the wood apparently has a nice grain - does anyone know of any companies who buy the timber from private individuals? (or even better - remove it themselves and keep the wood )

BMWHaus Guru
    I think you have two chances of getting the council to do it.
    I'm home at the weekend and will get the number of a guy who did work out in Maynooth a while back.

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    I think you have two chances of getting the council to do it.
    I'm home at the weekend and will get the number of a guy who did work out in Maynooth a while back.
    Yeah suspected as much John. Have a quote of 2k, which is apparently very cheap - some other guys who've looked at it said they wouldn't be able to handle it. Will take three people three days to get through it. Its money I'd rather not spend all the same.

Have you tried this crowd http://mytree.ie/tree-removal/

Seems you ended up with one of the biggest tree's in Ireland

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Gar View Post
    Have you tried this crowd http://mytree.ie/tree-removal/

Seems you ended up with one of the biggest tree's in Ireland
    Cheers - will give them a shout.

BMWHaus Contributor
    It might be a good idea to be 100% sure that it is within your garden boundary. I work with the guy who is €50k less costs out of pocket for going gung hoe and cutting own trees he believed were on his side of the boundary.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news...-34664897.html
    2007 BMW E92 335i Sapphire Schwarz - Previous
    1998 BMW E36 318iS Cosmos Schwarz - Previous

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Cisk View Post
    It might be a good idea to be 100% sure that it is within your garden boundary. I work with the guy who is €50k less costs out of pocket for going gung hoe and cutting own trees he believed were on his side of the boundary.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news...-34664897.html
    Yeah I read about that - it's definitely on our land, my missus handled the conveyancing for the purchase and we've checked the lands registry. There were several if the trees in the back gardens of the houses on our road, other owners had theirs removed while they were still manageable though.

Think it would be better if it was on the boundary though given its causing damage - council would have to do something about it then.

BMWHaus Contributor
    I wonder would the council do something about it if you contacted them and said you couldn't afford to remove it and it was a danger to the surrounding houses etc?

Might be worth a shot!

BMWHaus Guru
    Might give them a shout and see what they have to say! Here's most of the tree -
    Attached Images Attached Images

BMWHaus Contributor
    Might actually be worth having an accidental fire in the shed.... be cheaper too I'd imagine haha