Thread: F10 520d info for potential buyer

F10 520d info for potential buyer

So after selling my e60, and toying with the idea of moving away from bmw's for awhile, I've made the decision to go for a f10.

I suppose I'm looking for the obvious, good/bad thoughts, what to look out for, experience for current owners...

I know the issues about the timing chains, so would I be better getting them done as preventative maintenance as opposed to leaving it and hoping for the best? I can't invisage myself buying from a main dealer, so the luxery of a warranty won't exist.

I also know the lifespan of brake discs is circa 50k miles?

I'm going to go for a 2011-2012 Msport, automatic.

All info will be worthwhile in helping my search.

Sean

On my second F10, both UK imports. Had a well kitted 2011 SE auto with no major problems up to 90k miles when I parted with it. Timing chains can be troublesome but by no means a given so I'd only spend the money on replacing it if becomes noisy/rattly. Changed to a 2014 M Sport with the newer B47 engine back in March. They are bigger and wider than the old E60 so while still very good to drive they more of a cruiser than a sporty handler whether you go SE or M Sport. Cabin is a big step up on the E60 too in terms of quality and refinement. Basic spec is ok with leather and bluetooth standard on them but still try and get the best you can for your money. Try and aim for adaptive xenon headlights, heated seats, wide screen Pro Nav, etc.