Thread: e39 Misfire

e39 Misfire

Hi Guys,

Had an ongoing issue with the CEL coming on from time to time and a slight engine shaking. This would normally disappear almost immediately. Ran a diagnostic and the scanner told me there was a misfire in CYL5.

On Friday evening I replaced CYL 5 and 6 with new (second hand) coils that came from a working engine with no misfires and also changed all 6 spark plugs. I changed 5 because it was a cheap brand and i got two matching bremi coils. The other 4 coils are also bremi.

Friday eve and all day sat car ran better than ever. Today the CEL is permantly on and the vibration is stronger than ever, ran a diagnostic and it says the following: (have also attached a pic of the spark plug from cyl5, no oil or water, just a small bit of carbon build up..

Any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Am now also getting "Misfire Detected with low fuel"

Am thinking cam position sensor, air leak or fuel filter/pump..

...any ideas on how to further diagnose?

Any advise appreciated..

Get it checked with a BMW specific diagnostic kit - it looks like you're using a generic code reader. Or bring it to a mechanic, most indys don't charge much for diagnostics.

BMWHaus Contributor
    Have you removed the spark plug cover since the fault returned to make sure none of the coil packs have vibrated loose / the small bolts that hold them down, be careful not to strip the threads they screw into (alloy) and strip pretty easy.
    I've seen them vibrate loose more than once, and it seems you had the problem solved, so well worth checking this if you haven't already.
    The plug you removed looks perfect
    Last edited by 318is-joe; 01-07-16 at 15:28.