Thread: Mini cooper s timing chain rattle?????

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Mini cooper s timing chain rattle?????

Herselfs 2003 mini sounds like a diesel when ticking over but is fine when revs hit about 1800rpm, after some google searching I'm sure its the chain rattling. So its now parked in the driveway waiting to be trailered to the mechanic.

Can anyone tell me if its a big job to replace the guides and a ball park figure on how much it will cost???

Thanks
    Johny.

BMWHaus Contributor
    If you go so far as to get to the guides you'd be as well replace the chain also. It's not the easiest job however (space limitations included). Are you sure it's the chain as they usually are a hardy enough engine (tritec) it could be valve train / and/or the clutch bearing (has it been serviced etc, and has it the correct grade oil)

You could try putting a slightly heavier grade of oil in it to pressurised the guide tensioner better, and rule the chain in or out. 5W30 is a little thin when they've big miles, you could go up to 10w40
    You could also drop the sump and see if there are any plastic /nylon pieces (happens when the guide starts to fail)

To strip it down and replace guides and chain probably would take 6 - 8 hours - easiest to pull the engine and box assembly out - if you can get a mechanic that wants to do it....
    Last edited by 318is-joe; 12-07-16 at 15:02.

The car is always serviced on time, I'm 99% sure its the chain. There 114,000 miles on the clock with a full service history to back it up. Its going in to get checked out tomorrow evening.

BMWHaus Contributor
    Hope you get sorted, it's unusual though to have the chain give bother at those miles and with a good service record.
    Would be interested to hear how you get on, best of luck.

I will update this once I rind out for sure

So as I suspected the chain was the issue after all. While our mechanic was doing the job he noticed a few more small problems. Wasnt a cheep fix but could have cost more if the chain slipped.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Johny14586 View Post
    Herselfs 2003 mini sounds like a diesel when ticking over but is fine when revs hit about 1800rpm, after some google searching I'm sure its the chain rattling. So its now parked in the driveway waiting to be trailered to the mechanic.

Can anyone tell me if its a big job to replace the guides and a ball park figure on how much it will cost???

Thanks
    Johny.
    According to my mechanic it will cost €600 to have the chain and tensioner's replaced. Seemingly buy from Peugeot as its a Peug engine and the parts are a lot cheaper
    14 BMW 520d M Sport Auto
    11 BMW 118d M Sport Coupe
    08 BMW 520d M Sport Touring
    11 BMW 520d MSport
    09 BMW 520d M Sport
    10 BMW 520d M Sport
    09 BMW 320d SE
    06 BMW 525 M Sport
    02 BMW M5
    98 BMW M3 Evo
    95 BMW 320
    92 BMW 318

It has been sorted now along with a few other jobs that needed fixing. So all in it cost €1100.

BMWHaus Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Bavarianbanger View Post
    According to my mechanic it will cost €600 to have the chain and tensioner's replaced. Seemingly buy from Peugeot as its a Peug engine and the parts are a lot cheaper
    The PSA (Peugeot) engine wasn't put in Mini's until the Mk2 came out in 2007. Prior to this the engines were a Tritec Rover/BMW joint developed unit. The OP's car is a 2003.