Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

E46 Service Reset

I'm trying to reset the service light on a 2004 320 Ci

I've tried the following but to know avail:
    Ignition off
    Hold odometer and turn key to position 1
    Keep pressed until Oil/ inspection/Reset comes up
    Release reset button then press again until Reset begins to flash
    When flashing press again. At this stage it should change to 15255 ( however it doesn't)

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks in advance.

BMWHaus Contributor
    A. Model Year 1999 to Mid-2000: You should have the older round 20-pin DLC connector under your hood behind the battery terminal, you need to use a small length of wire to connect (short) pins 7 and 19 for 3-5 seconds with the ignition key in position 1 (Accessory).

B. After Mid-2000: You should not have the 20-pin DLC connector. You only need to hold the left odometer reset button while turning the key to position 1 (Accessory). Keep holding the button for 5 or so seconds until any of the following shows in the display: OIL SERVICE or INSPECTION with RESET or RE. Release the button and press it again for another 5 or so seconds until RESET or RE flash. While the display flashes, press the button one more time briefly. If done correctly, END SIA should show up for a few seconds. All done.

Quote Originally Posted by GERMANIKS View Post
    A. Model Year 1999 to Mid-2000: You should have the older round 20-pin DLC connector under your hood behind the battery terminal, you need to use a small length of wire to connect (short) pins 7 and 19 for 3-5 seconds with the ignition key in position 1 (Accessory).

B. After Mid-2000: You should not have the 20-pin DLC connector. You only need to hold the left odometer reset button while turning the key to position 1 (Accessory). Keep holding the button for 5 or so seconds until any of the following shows in the display: OIL SERVICE or INSPECTION with RESET or RE. Release the button and press it again for another 5 or so seconds until RESET or RE flash. While the display flashes, press the button one more time briefly. If done correctly, END SIA should show up for a few seconds. All done.
    Many thanks for the reply. I'll give that a go.