Thread: E36 steering wheel after changing inner tie rods?

BMWHaus Guru

E36 steering wheel after changing inner tie rods?

Getting 4 wheel alignment done today. Was in the middle in straight ahead position now it's here. Will it correct this much? Car feels grand as I tried to match the other old ones.

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Lucifer
    Getting 4 wheel alignment done today. Was in the middle in straight ahead position now it's here. Will it correct this much? Car feels grand as I tried to match the other old ones.

The alignment has either been done incorrectly(one side only)

Or...

Your wheel is not centred properly on its splines from a previous attempt at correcting a bad tracking job.

Bring it back to them!

Edit: I may have mis-understood... Have you brought it to them yet? If not then yes it should be dead centre after an alignment.one or two turns of a track rod can have your wheel pointing the wrong direction like that.

BMWHaus Guru

RE: E36 steering wheel after changing inner tie rods?

Did you change your steering wheel recently, or was this only after the alignment?
    Definitely bring it back to them if they fudged it up..

BMWHaus Contributor

I think what he is asking if the wheel will be straight after alignment.

BMWHaus Guru

Just to clarify hasn't been tracked yet. Getting the alignment done today.

BMWHaus Guru

Sorry lads my posts are shite as in rushing. Just to clarify I changed the two inner tie rods. Tried to match the length but steering wheel is now like this. Just wondering will it correct this much as I've never seen it out like this car is 100% driving fine no pull etc getting the 4 wheel alignment done today.

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Lucifer
    Sorry lads my posts are shite as in rushing. Just to clarify I changed the two inner tie rods. Tried to match the length but steering wheel is now like this. Just wondering will it correct this much as I've never seen it out like this car is 100% driving fine no pull etc getting the 4 wheel alignment done today.
    Ah yeah, deffo. No problem correcting that.

BMWHaus Guru

Can be corrected easily. They'll love you for not having seized rods in there too! Less effort on them. Just make sure that the tyre pressure is even as well as it can also throw it off slightly in my experience. Also if the car is lowered and then tracked the car will follow the inclines in the road and may appear to be wandering but in actuality is 100% As I found out....lol

BMWHaus Guru

Ok thanks for yer reassurance. Steering wheel back to the middle so all is well Noticed the pull alright after 60 mph. But thankfully all is good!