Thread: Replacing the DSC pressure sensor. Error code 5e20

BMWHaus Contributor

Replacing the DSC pressure sensor. Error code 5e20

Can someone please give me a quick run through replacing these sensors.
    I got a code tonight and its really screwing me up for nct on thur and mondello on friday.

Whats the easiest way to get access? Do i need to undo some brake pipes from the dsc unit to get access? How much brake fluid do I need to drain from the resevoir?

What size spanner is on the sensor?

Cheers

BMWHaus Contributor
    Mark- both times I've got the M aligned I've had this issue. The first time I'd to reset the dsc pressure sensor through NCS expert I think- I found a how to guide online. The second time it sorted itself after driving the car for a little while. I think it's another one of the Ms quirks......unless mine is unique!

BMWHaus Guru
    You had all the rear brake lines off doing the subframe? If so are you sure you just don't need to drive it and delete the codes?

If that doesn't work your gonna need a DSC pressure sensor I'd say. There's two of them so your going to have to unplug one and see which one matches the fault code you have.

When replacing them you'll need a 27mm spanner and that's about it. Syphon the fluid out of the reservoir, unplug the sensor and swap them over quickly.

Stuff a cloth under the master cylinder to catch the fluid and most importantly catch the DSC sensor if you drop it, there's a big black hole under there

Tbh when your done 9/10 the brakes don't need to be bled but if your unsure then do it. And when it's all sealed up, give it a good wash with water around the master cylinder to clean off the spilt fluid.

@Nige, I'd say you mean the steering angle sensor light, similar lights come on when the pressure sensors give trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Contributor
    Thanks conor.
    Yea both rear brake lines were off. I bled the system and drove about a few times in test runs and all was fine.
    Gave it in for tracking yesterday and on the drive home the lights showed.
    I cleared the lights few times and they never extinguished. Inpa Keeps showing pressure sensor 1 as a fault.

Can the sensor be recalibrated? I tried disconnecting and reconnecting

BMWHaus Guru
    Just check your live data on Inpa, your brake pressure readings. They both should be the same. I don't think they can be recalibrated, I've never tried it but the sensors give loads of trouble, there the same on all E46 DSC models. The new ones are modified, they'll look slightly different than the old ones.

BMWHaus Contributor
    Thanks conor. Looking at the sensors it looks like a bastard to get a spanner in there

BMWHaus Guru
    You just need to "crack" it open and then it will screw out by hand. Either us a 27mm spanner or a multigrip/water pump pliers.