Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: e39 shocks & springs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

e39 shocks & springs

well lads, will be replacing the shocks/springs in the e39 530d msport this winter, just looking for advise on brands? i do not want to lower the car in any way, and am not looking for anything stiff, just want something comfy,
    so if any of you have changed what did you go for?
    thanks
    barry

BMWHaus Contributor
    Bilstein B4 from Otto (competitive price) the other day went in an e46 diesel, retained comfort no lowering. Only drove it a few miles but I wasn't disappointed.

What's your budget? If its large I'd stay original and buy genuine BMW suspension.

BMWHaus Contributor
    I'd be interested in this thread. I have the same car M-Tec II 530d and she is coming around to needing a full corner refresh - arms, balljoints etc - I'm trying to work my way through the linkages and joints, then when they are good, gonna put a set of shocks in her - I'm happy enough with the stock M TecII ride height, as I'd probably be bottoming it out and ripping belly pans of it if it was any lower.

Anyway - I believe from the bilstein literature that B4's are rated at SE ride height, and that the operating window in an M Tec would be lower than this - hence the B6 model which wouldn't bottom out in an M5 or MtecII. I'm probably going to re-use the factory springs. In other words, Bilstein reckon the B4's wouldn't work / last at MtechII ride height.

Anyone been down this road before and know from experience what works and what deffo doesn't - specifically will the B4 shocks work at MtecII ride height??

Have a nice set of M5 rims to go on her when the suspension merits them and a decent set of tyres.

Cheers lads
    Last edited by 318is-joe; 25-07-16 at 21:17.

BMWHaus Site Sponsor
    For daily drive i would buy Sachs shocks and eibach or H@R springs and get drop u want . heard only bad experience with bilsteins ,if to go for something bit more stiff , Koni shocks would be my choice
    Motor Confidence-14b Knockmitten lane,Western ind est ,Naas road D12

BMWHaus Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Valdelisbmw View Post
    For daily drive i would buy Sachs shocks and eibach or H@R springs and get drop u want . heard only bad experience with bilsteins ,if to go for something bit more stiff , Koni shocks would be my choice
    Good to hear Valdelis - if you were happy with ride height with factory springs, is it safe to say they'd be ok with new sachs - maybe an uprated h&r ARB front and back and powerflex bushes to match? (intended as a daily - no greater stiff ride needed, than stock)

A spring is a spring - unless it's broken - would the factory springs do another 150K? The MTech shocks were sachs OE anyway weren't they?
    Last edited by 318is-joe; 25-07-16 at 23:44.

BMWHaus Site Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by 318is-joe View Post
    Good to hear Valdelis - if you were happy with ride height with factory springs, is it safe to say they'd be ok with new sachs - maybe an uprated h&r ARB front and back and powerflex bushes to match? (intended as a daily - no greater stiff ride needed, than stock)

A spring is a spring - unless it's broken - would the factory springs do another 150K? The MTech shocks were sachs OE anyway weren't they?
    becouse rear springs very common to broke on E39 ,with msport suspensions .of course first thing why this happens ,is old, not really strong shocks ,and very offten springs are very rusty ,wouldnt look nice with new shocks

BMWHaus Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Valdelisbmw View Post
    What do you mean by bad experiences with bilsteins?
    I was thinking of getting b4's for the front of my e34 (with a small drop)

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Contributor
    I have Koni adjustables in my e34, quite stiff but tightened up the car. Although I've never adjusted them so there may be some comfort to be had!

BMWHaus Site Sponsor
    might help with sachs shocks and eibach springs if somebody really interested .