Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: e39 shocks & springs

BMWHaus Site Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by 318is-joe View Post
    Good to hear Valdelis - if you were happy with ride height with factory springs, is it safe to say they'd be ok with new sachs - maybe an uprated h&r ARB front and back and powerflex bushes to match? (intended as a daily - no greater stiff ride needed, than stock)

A spring is a spring - unless it's broken - would the factory springs do another 150K? The MTech shocks were sachs OE anyway weren't they?
    becouse rear springs very common to broke on E39 ,with msport suspensions .of course first thing why this happens ,is old, not really strong shocks ,and very offten springs are very rusty ,wouldnt look nice with new shocks
    Motor Confidence-14b Knockmitten lane,Western ind est ,Naas road D12

BMWHaus Site Sponsor
    might help with sachs shocks and eibach springs if somebody really interested .
    Motor Confidence-14b Knockmitten lane,Western ind est ,Naas road D12

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Valdelisbmw View Post
    B8 actually are common to fail , not sure about B4 , but Boge or Sachs are perfect shocks,the ones come from factory
    Same here, have seen it a good bit recently with Bilstein. Sachs/Boge get my vote also!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Contributor
    Right - decided to go for a koni spring and sachs combo - I'll sacrifice a bit of bounce for "glue effect". But I have a question, will breakaway (tail out) become more likely with harder rebound? Will it become more skittish if disturbed mid bend by a divot or hole etc?
    The reason I ask is the wife drives it now and again and is used to fwd - if anything goes wrong she lifts off - so I want to keep a kinda neutral handling machine but one that can take good hard level cornering. I will probably upgrade the ARB's to M5 or close too it anyway for a 6cyl.
    I'm gonna be running a 265/30/18 on M5 rims rear and 245/35/18 on the fronts, so plenty of rubber (when they are new anyway)
    Interested in hearing opinions, I have a bit of time before I do this- next job is lower arm rose bushes and integral links when I have the back subframe out - (doing the subframe mounts with power flex also)