Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Not really a daily... My E39 M5

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Cheers man. Big jobs are for the winter months when the tax is out. Rear brake rebuild, VANOS rebuild, headlight adjusters amongst them.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Contributor
    That bg stuff is some job. I did a flush and oil change on my car and used the 44k and felt it ran Alot smoother

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Contributor

I've been considering that, only used it on diesels so far.

BMWHaus Contributor
    Same myself. I don't think it's of much benefit to petrols unless the crank case ventilation has contaminated the inlet manifold with oil that's dried up

I was also wondering would it work on the M, it having 2 air intakes/MAFs

It's the little things.... The tatty badge let the front down i felt.

Also, inside, it bugged me that the gearknob didn't illuminate. If I didn't know it was supposed to, I wouldn't have minded! Ignorance is bliss

Anyway, stick, gaiter and knob off

Gently prise up the top, and expose the Led plate and diffuser

Unscrew the retaining TorX, leave the plastic to one side

Now gently pull up the Led plate, the wires should slide up the shaft.

I tested the LEDs and the resistor, all OK apart from the obviously broken Led.

Grab a standard 3mm Led from my stash

Remove the broken one and solder in a new one,taking care to observe correct polarity

The other ones, while appearing white / clear actually light up Red.

Refit the bits and bobs carefully, lining up everything neatly, remembering to plug the 2 pin connection back in

Cross fingers, turn on the lights, hold back childish grin. Result.

I'd assume someone has already done exactly the same, what with one led being broken, and the numbered plastic piece having the backing slightly torn, but its not bad enough to worry me.

BMWHaus Contributor
    Hey Tristan, what's happening with black beauty?

Lads whats the deal with this 44k I hear mention of in the thread? What does it do / how does it work?

Hey Joe. The black girl is going well now, I haven't had to do anything other than put fuel in! 😁
    The 44K is a fuel additive by BG Products. Very good stuff for cleaning and maintenance of the fuel system. And raises the octane rating a little too.

Black Beauty got a mother and father of a spin around the West of Ireland with Autostadt.ie, quite often at rather elevated speeds..... Always on private runways, your honour. 😂

It could keep pace with a one year old Golf R...

And on it goes.
    I decided to replace the rear pads. Got a friendly discount from Colm Quinn BMW so went for OEM pads. Old ones weren't as crusty as I feared, but still nice to have fresh ones.

While in there, I polished up the caliper slider pins applied some fresh Copper grease.

On stripping the other side, I found I was missing the spring that goes on the outside...

Not essential perhaps, but I will get one asap. Local car breakers had a similar one but it didn't fit.

I took off the rear spacers too, the back wheels just poked a shade too much for my liking. Also I felt the rear studs weren't quite threading in far enough for my liking.
    With...

Without....

I stripped the fronts too, but it was just a clean up and check there, pads are fairly fresh Pagid.

While the front rims were off I took off the front spacers, and fitted the ones that had been on the rear.
    Yes I am a fussy bollix.

Next task was adjusting the handbrake shoes, one side was way off. Bit trickier on a car with an LSD, harder to spin the discs to check for binding.

Aaaaaaahhh finally, time to check, drain, flush and refill the brake fluid. Took me a few minutes to find the reservoir! 😁 hidden under the RHS pollen filter housing.

I checked the moisture content with my tester pen, looks like it was a long time since it had been changed.

On the recommendation of my good mate George (Geo) in Daltons, I got him to send me some quality brake fluid.

So lots of pumping and topping up later, all good.

Looking forward to seeing how it feels after bedding in.