Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Not really a daily... My E39 M5

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Oh and I swapped out the front fog and head bulbs for Osram nightbreaker unlimited ones, next thing there is some whiter/LED bulbs for the Angel eyes. I'm stunned at the price of some of them.

I also scored a complete, xenon-dip headlight in the breakers, the brackets are broken but I got it for a tenner, I'm going to use it to figure out easily how to change the headlamp adjuster links without removing the lense.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Contributor
    Handy wee moisture tester there Tristan!

What wattage are the nightbreakers?

Same as stock Joe, I wouldn't go high power on plastic lenses and oem wiring. fogs are nice and "white", heads not so noticeable, strangely. Still a lot better though. A set of LED angel eyes and sort out the adjusters and the front lights will be tip top.

Although..... The all-round nice guy that is Dave called for a visit / parts swap (great to meet at last!) and is trying to convince me to go bi xenon....

BMWHaus Contributor
    Do you mean bi-xenon (dips and heads) or dips and fog's? Didn't think you could Xenon the heads without upgrading the LCM (Light control module) + separate ballasts etc... if it can be done at all (legally that is). Technically anything is possible. Was it even a factory option?

There are lot's of LED replacement units on eBay for the halo's, I'm not that versed on temperature rating (whiteness / K rating) but there seems to be plenty at upward of 3W (Which are all but invisible during the day).

Yeah with your adjusters in and the beams set up properly, they should be pretty decent - still will be tested with 400bhp though lol.
    Last edited by 318is-joe; 04-10-16 at 18:08.

BMWHaus Guru
    A bi-xenon conversation isn't a big deal, I'm pretty sure there's a hella projector that bolts into the factory lamp for bi-xenon.

So the lamp functions and looks factory but you have an actuator that adjusts your xenon beam angle from low to high beam, no need to change the LCM or add an extra ballast.

I think you're thinking more on the lines of fitting a xenon HID kit to the high beams, which I wouldn't dream of doing as it's just dangerous.

There's loads of DIY's on forums for the retrofit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Contributor
    Ah ok - found a retrofit thread - so it's all about existing xenon dispersion on dips - got it, cool thanks

Corner trim fitted and replaced the PDC sensor. Piece of piss to chat, BMW helpfully left an indent under the front lower side to pop in a trim removal tool.

Old trim available FOC if anyone wants it?

Got my missing rear caliper spring..

Swapped out the nav system for mk4, much nicer display and a nice treat when you open the door...

And next challenge is repairing the scuffs on the driver's seat bolster and the steering wheel.

Oh and a big shout out to Dave for the mk4 Nav. Top man.

In an aside, I've put a good few miles, relatively speaking on the Big Girl lately. Wild Atlantic Run and TedRun with Autostadt, both 110-120 mile jaunts, with 100+ each way to get to WAR and back.
    Plus a weekend break in the recently too.
    And it's loving it. And the engine seems to be getting sweeter. The VANOS rattle, which was bad,and possibly even a sticky lifter, have gotten an awful lot quieter, barely noticeable now.

I still might change the oil in the SORN'd period over winter to the Liqui Moly that Dave suggested.