Thread: Alloy rad, electric fan , lightened flywheel

BMWHaus Contributor

Alloy rad, electric fan , lightened flywheel

Well lads looking for more feedback again. I want to refresh the cooling system on my 323i. I was toying with the idea of a alloy rad. Is it worth it ? Or should I just stick with OEM?
    It currently has a viscous fan too but the clutch is fooked so I rather go electric altogether. All opinions welcome .

Also I want to go go down the road of a lightened flywheel and possibly lightened pulleys. Don't have much experience on them , if anyone has any feedback please do share.

Thanks , Adam
    E39 525d avus blue individual SOLD
    E39 525i touring topaz blue SOLD
    E36 318is avus blue
    E36 318is cosmos black
    E36 323i coupe cosmos black
    E46 330d imola red 2 touring RIP
    E60 520D LCI Titan silver SOLD
    E60 520D mystic blue

BMWHaus Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by kildangan_kid View Post
    Well lads looking for more feedback again. I want to refresh the cooling system on my 323i. I was toying with the idea of a alloy rad. Is it worth it ? Or should I just stick with OEM?
    It currently has a viscous fan too but the clutch is fooked so I rather go electric altogether. All opinions welcome .

Also I want to go go down the road of a lightened flywheel and possibly lightened pulleys. Don't have much experience on them , if anyone has any feedback please do share.

Thanks , Adam
    Plus 1 on this info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Site Sponsor
    Alloy rads imo are well worth and help to reduce engine running temps which is always going to be beneficial, for example I have fitted an all alloy rad to my daily which is a Mitsubishi L200 which are known to run hot. Before installing it the temp needle always sat above half, after the rad was installed the temp needle now always sits below half no matter what I do with it. I have pulled a trailer and digger without issue and without the needle budging. All alloy rads are also much lest likely to fail over plastic rads unless they take a serious hit. Alloy rads also tend to be larger thus helping with cooling more. As for fans here is my take on them :

Viscous Fans :

a clutch fan that is controlled via t-stat
    Viscous fans will also be a parasitic
    Uses a clutch to engage or disengage fan at certain engine speeds or temp.
    Viscous fans don't fully disengage, it keeps spinning slower than the waterpump does.
    Viscous fans have a limited rev range and only spin so fast, not sure exact rpms but maybe around 4,500 ish. Viscous fans will also be a parasitic
    Fine for stock cars without serious modification that are being driven easily.

Electric fans :

Shall help slow down water pump wear in theory
    Electric fan kits can be used as pusher or puller fans meaning they can be mount on the engine side of bumper side of the rad, very useful when its comes time to doing engine conversions and your tight for space
    Generally they run quicker at lower engine rpm than viscous so help improve cooling at traffic and stand still
    They also tend to rev higher so when a car is being driven spiritedly it shall help reduce engine temps and help cool quicker.
    No parasitic loss and in theory engine response should be mildly improved as should petrol consumption.

Pulleys and flywheels : Need to do a parts run now, but f someone hasn't covered this by this evening I'll get a post up.

Hope this helps,
    CURRENT CARS:

Avus Blue 99 E36 318ic
    Arctic Silver 98 E36 328ic
    Montreal Blue 95 E36 320ic
    Avus Blue 99 E36 318is
    Hellrot 95 E36 318is trackcar soon

Galaxy Grey 06 Mazda RX-8 192bhp

Blue / silver 2003 Mitsubishi L200 Crewcab

Super
    4 BMW

ON FACEBOOK
    ON INSTAGRAM
    http://www.facebook.com/eisenmannireland
    super4offroad@gmail.com
    086-731-1738

BMWHaus Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Super4 View Post
    Alloy rads imo are well worth and help to reduce engine running temps which is always going to be beneficial, for example I have fitted an all alloy rad to my daily which is a Mitsubishi L200 which are known to run hot. Before installing it the temp needle always sat above half, after the rad was installed the temp needle now always sits below half no matter what I do with it. I have pulled a trailer and digger without issue and without the needle budging. All alloy rads are also much lest likely to fail over plastic rads unless they take a serious hit. Alloy rads also tend to be larger thus helping with cooling more. As for fans here is my take on them :

Viscous Fans :

a clutch fan that is controlled via t-stat
    Viscous fans will also be a parasitic
    Uses a clutch to engage or disengage fan at certain engine speeds or temp.
    Viscous fans don't fully disengage, it keeps spinning slower than the waterpump does.
    Viscous fans have a limited rev range and only spin so fast, not sure exact rpms but maybe around 4,500 ish. Viscous fans will also be a parasitic
    Fine for stock cars without serious modification that are being driven easily.

Electric fans :

Shall help slow down water pump wear in theory
    Electric fan kits can be used as pusher or puller fans meaning they can be mount on the engine side of bumper side of the rad, very useful when its comes time to doing engine conversions and your tight for space
    Generally they run quicker at lower engine rpm than viscous so help improve cooling at traffic and stand still
    They also tend to rev higher so when a car is being driven spiritedly it shall help reduce engine temps and help cool quicker.
    No parasitic loss and in theory engine response should be mildly improved as should petrol consumption.

Pulleys and flywheels : Need to do a parts run now, but f someone hasn't covered this by this evening I'll get a post up.

Hope this helps,
    Super 4 construction is next cab is it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk