Thread: Caliper trouble?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Caliper trouble?

Guys I have a rubbing noise coming from the near side rear. I think it might be a sticky caliper.

I've jacked up the car and spun the wheels, should there be any noise as i can hear the discs rubbing against the pads. Is this normal? thanks

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: Caliper trouble?

some noise is normal unless its worn pads or a stone is stuck in there

Re: Caliper trouble?

Yep should be friction when turning the rear wheel freely ,check for excessive heat from the rear disc after a drive thats usually a tell tale sign if its starting to stick

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by kaveman
    Guys I have a rubbing noise coming from the near side rear. I think it might be a sticky caliper.

I've jacked up the car and spun the wheels, should there be any noise as i can hear the discs rubbing against the pads. Is this normal? thanks
    Is there excessive dust on the alloy?

Are you noticing anything different when breaking?

Take the wheel off and spin the disc paying attention to where the pad and disc meet each other.

Could be a bearing as well. does it make noise when you drive all the time or only when you brake?

I can only hear the noise at low speed and only when it bounces back off a wall.

I haven't noticed anything like dust or heat, just the noise. Hmmm it could be a bearing i guess. They are all original bearings too.

I can only hear the noise at low speed and only when it bounces back off a wall.

I haven't noticed anything like dust or heat, just the noise. Hmmm it could be a bearing i guess. They are all original bearings too.
    i had same problem, and only could hear it when it bounced back from a wall. handbrake shoes was my problem.
    it could be bearing, but it would be more wiinig than robing noise. and when cornering it would change.

Quote Originally Posted by armando

i had same problem, and only could hear it when it bounced back from a wall. handbrake shoes was my problem.
    it could be bearing, but it would be more wiinig than robing noise. and when cornering it would change.
    Thanks, i've a feeling now that you could be right about the handbrake shoes. Next time i'm out i'll pull it up when still moving and see what happens

Its none of the above, Mr Healy was right!! He's good , he said its probably the brake disc heat shield as the noise is only there after I got new coilovers fitted. I tried to push it off the disc, it's improved a bit by trying to bend it back but there's still a bit of noise, I can't see exactly where it's rubbing. Ill bring it back to proparts!!