Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CAT D Stripped Car

BMWHaus Guru

CAT D Stripped Car

http://www.copart.co.uk/uk/Lot/32819516

I was browsing the web earlier, came across this and it got me thinking.

Clearly before it was stripped it was a hugely desirable car. Despite the fact it'll always be CAT D would anyone considering buying it, repairing it and enjoying or is it all too much trouble?
    Last edited by JohnH; 05-09-16 at 21:29.

BMWHaus Guru
    It will always carry the stigma of being a CAT D so the purchase price needs to reflect that. You may have trouble trying to sell it on as people will assume that it has been in a serious accident. I agree it is a beautiful low mileage car that is an easy fix, but for me it would not be worth the hassle.

Administrator
    It's a tough one! In the case of the car you've linked, a 2015 reg, if you seen yourself keeping it for a good few years, then the potential loss when the majority of depreciation of similar cars has already occurred it wouldnt be as big an issue. Also, offset that against the savings you made initially. With a fairly desirable motor, when the potential buyer sees that you've owned it for so many years, proves that you had very few issues (or maybe not), despite it being a Cat D, that in reality its a good car!

I'd have no issue, Provided I save money doing it!

There's lots and lots of cars out there, That have had various paint/bodywork that people are none the wiser about. This seems to be relatively all bolt on parts.

Document/Picture everything involved in putting in back right and there'll be a buyer out there in a few years.

BMWHaus Guru
    I'd buy it, I tend to keep my cars for a long time and by the time I would be going to sell it the difference in value would be negligible. Plus it would probably look head and shoulders above all the other cars of the same era!
    A photo documented restore would also go a long way to explaining the history.

Administrator
    Are you debating clearing out the F31 and the E46 to make way for the Silverstone M3 you posted the other evening!? CAT D instead of a kidney?

BMWHaus Guru
    I think on balance I'd buy it. I agree with the views above it only makes sense if you were to keep it for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Curran View Post
    Are you debating clearing out the F31 and the E46 to make way for the Silverstone M3 you posted the other evening!? CAT D instead of a kidney?
    I have to admit there was some stunning man maths being done earlier today but I figure I'd be shot if a low loader appeared with her "new car" on board with the front end missing!

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    I figure I'd be shot if a low loader appeared with her "new car" on board with the front end missing!
    Ya think? 😀.

Administrator
    Have the low loader deliver it straight to the body shop; just tell her there was a few scratches on the bumper you wanted sorted to have it pristine!

BMWHaus Guru
    The bidding has brought it up to almost £15k which seems crazy to me. For a car that would retail (pre damage) at about £30k the saving, including repair costs just isnt there at this sort of price