Thread: Original BMW gaskets issues - any alternatives (even racing ones)?

BMWHaus Contributor

Original BMW gaskets issues - any alternatives (even racing ones)?

Hello all. I need your help and expertise please.
    I have changed oil filter housing gasket, rear and front crankshaft seal less than 1000 miles ago and the car is starting to leak again from the same place.
    Forking out a lot of money for labour to get them replaced with genuine BMW gaskets and seals only to have the car leaking after a month is disheartening to say the least.
    Would you know of any brand which is better than the original as its quality is really poor?
    Even if the alternative is to use racing parts if that will do the trick?
    Car in question is my '98 E36 estate with an M43 engine which has a 106,371 miles.
    Thanks for your help
    Harry

BMWHaus Contributor
    That sounds odd, all replaced and all leaking. If it was one maybe a seAl damaged when fitting. I wonder could it be crank case pressure too high? Can that happen?

BMWHaus Contributor
    Thanks for the reply Smokey Bear. In the mornings I always allow the car to warm up and take it nice and easy. Even when warm I would not be madly pulling the gears. I would go up to 4k / 4,5k rpm max. Once I finished drivng I always give the car 30 seconds before switching it off. So do not understand what it can be. I am no expert and would not be technical at all but was thinking the engine getting too hot which was causing them to wear out sooner? But from a cooling side waterpump has been replaced, thermostat was replaced a little under three years ago and the coolant level is always monitored ?
    Coming to your suggestion, any way to test the crank case pressure ? How do you go round doing that?

BMWHaus Contributor
    Where is the leak from this time? Can't be all 3 again.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Contributor
    I am bringing it to the garage tomorrow to pinpoint it exactly once more. Will let you know straight away.
    There are always two little spots of oil on the floor anyways so one which is just underneath the oil filter housing and the second one which is more backwards so it would seem the rear crankshaft seal?

BMWHaus Contributor
    From your first post I assumed they were pissing out and you could see the leaks... I think you should track down the leaks before posting threads and speculating. Always ends up with fearing the worst! Its probably something small!

Warming and cooling the car gently , while admirable and desirable, won't really cause or affect oil leaks. Oil of wrong viscosity or poorly prepped surfaces, and loose bolts 99% of the time. I ALWAYS put a smear of RTV sealant or shellac or similar on gaskets, and I don't get leaks.

BMWHaus Contributor
    Thank you all for your help and input with this lads, much appreciated!
    In the end the car was no longer leaking but was really pis*ing oil. It proved to be the oil filter housing gasket which needed replacing again. In order not to risk anything I called a tow truck to come and collect the car to bring it to the garage. Hopefully it will be the end of that for a while now.