Thread: R53 cooper s overheating...help!!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Contributor

R53 cooper s overheating...help!!

I seem to be in a big spot of bother and could really do with some help. The missus bought a '04 cooper S a couple of months ago - smashing car to drive and handy run. But about 3 weeks ago it just randomly started to over heat. Kept getting more and more frequent, happening with absolutely no warning.

So I checked a few things and noticed that the expansion bottle seemed to be leaking a slight bit of water, but a losing a lot of pressure. Did a bit of research , turns out the expansion bottle and cap give big trouble on this model. So ordered a bottle and cap from conlans and fitted. Bit of trouble bleeding it but got there eventually. That was two weeks ago. Car drove like a dream after that.

Then last when she was driving home and heard "a loud bang" - I can't confirm this yet as I haven't seen the car yet, but started to overheat again. Without warning. It seems to still draining it's expansion bottle every time and I can't find what the problem is.

- I've checked the water pump , no noises , abnormal play or leaks

- no leaks or weeps from the rad , all the piping is fine and connections fine

- old expansion bottle was leaking from the seem where the top and bottom were joined. New bottle is perfect, no leaks or hissing

- the temperature usually fly's from halfway to the red in literally a second , no warning

- the high and low fans are working when they should , seemingly a issue with them too .

If anyone has any experience with this problem can you please help this has been wrecking my head for weeks and I need it sorted

Thanks in advance,

Adam
    Last edited by kildangan_kid; 25-09-16 at 13:00.
    E39 525d avus blue individual SOLD
    E39 525i touring topaz blue SOLD
    E36 318is avus blue
    E36 318is cosmos black
    E36 323i coupe cosmos black
    E46 330d imola red 2 touring RIP
    E60 520D LCI Titan silver SOLD
    E60 520D mystic blue