Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: N47 diesel engine chain problems and fix!

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

N47 diesel engine chain problems and fix!

This week we got in some E90 with 83k miles and with broken timing chain .
    So first thing was to strip it to see what damage is inside and does it worth repair or will need second hand engine .
    It happened on very low speed so not so many broken parts - top timing chain,sliders,4 rockers .For sake of god,was replaced 4 hydraulic adjusters and cam shaft housing box ,which is very common to crack and may be not visible straight away and can get problems in near future .She got full new set of 3 chains ,sliders,tensioners,nozzle ,fuel pump sprocket,gaskets ,crankshaft seal ,injector washers ,full engine service kit .Double mass flywheel had visual wear signs ,mowing too much front and back and leaking oil from internals,visual clutch disc wear ,so she got all new set of clutch kit with dual mass flywheel .All parts got from Frank Kean BMW in Naas road .
    Car is back on road and drives perfect!

BTW it doesnt worth to get second hand engine as it would need to change chains straight away anyway and its extra expenses

Few ,not much , pictures of done work
    Attached Images Attached Images

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: N47 diesel engine chain problems and fix!

Out of interest Valdas, how much does a job like that cost roughly?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by E90 Brian
    Out of interest Valdas, how much does a job like that cost roughly?

If do the job before chain broke, up to 2k with full engine service kit,and goes up if timing chain already broken.But could be very big damage if chain broke on high revs .The worst might need new engine .So better to do it early

BMWHaus Contributor

Re: N47 diesel engine chain problems and fix!

All things relative not too bad, I've heard horror stories of €6k - €8k if it breaks from main dealers :-/ reminds me must check the engine code on my new motor tomorrow

BMWHaus Guru

My niece has a 320d but its some sort of special edition like the Si, Edition Sport, it had BBS wheels. Anyway the engine went (timing chain). Engine has to come from Germany €€€€!
    I found two N47 engines but apparently this edition has some tweaks.

N47 Timimg chain = Time Bomb!

Edit: it was one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/bmw-320d-m-sport-edition
    Current Garage:
    e36 Convertible, e63 M6,F82 M4, R53 Cooper S, F57 JCW, R53 JCW GP1, Porsche Panamera, Porsche 991 C4S

Quote Originally Posted by rebel.ranter
    My niece has a 320d but its some sort of special edition like the Si, Edition Sport, it had BBS wheels. Anyway the engine went (timing chain). Engine has to come from Germany €€€€!
    I found two N47 engines but apparently this edition has some tweaks.

N47 Timimg chain = Time Bomb!

Edit: it was one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/bmw-320d-m-sport-edition
    Sorry to hear about your niece!
    Same thing happened me in January chain broke on the m1 cost 2500 to put back on the road!
    Lucky enough my engine wasnt ruined and could be repaired.

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

Another N47 with only 70k mls .Engine still running but was noisy and what we found ,chain hydraulic tensioner was fully out cos of stretched top chain.It has like limiter for maximum length ,but now it was fully shoot out,not much left till full chain destroy and more engine damage .
    Attached Images Attached Images

BMWHaus Guru

Why are people buying these still if it's such a common fault!?

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

becouse there is nothing better in this world anyway
    any car has some common problems ,and its really not end of the world .Its actually same as to change timing belt on any other make or model ,why people dont think about this from different side :smiling:

Hello! I'm having aswell a BMW 118d with N47 engine. Car has done 126000km (almost 80000miles) and i have the ticking sound few minutes after the cold start. When warm the engine stops ticking. I mention that the sound comes from the distribution chain and here i ask.

Is there recommended to replace the chain tensioner with the new updated version? Would i do something bad to the chain assembly? I don't see any other thing causing the rattle of the chain other than the tensioner (or maybe a stretched chain already).

I see it's a fairly easy job, probably hard to reach bolt but would u recommend me to do it? Or maybe wait and replace all elements which cost quite alot .