Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: N47 diesel engine chain problems and fix!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Contributor

RE: N47 diesel engine chain problems and fix!

Exactly what I expected

Sent from my magical talkie device

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

more and more N47 fixed timing chains ,this is one of them with quick wash after all work
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Valdelisbmw
    This week we got in some E90 with 83k miles and with broken timing chain .
    So first thing was to strip it to see what damage is inside and does it worth repair or will need second hand engine .
    It happened on very low speed so not so many broken parts - top timing chain,sliders,4 rockers .For sake of god,was replaced 4 hydraulic adjusters and cam shaft housing box ,which is very common to crack and may be not visible straight away and can get problems in near future .She got full new set of 3 chains ,sliders,tensioners,nozzle ,fuel pump sprocket,gaskets ,crankshaft seal ,injector washers ,full engine service kit .Double mass flywheel had visual wear signs ,mowing too much front and back and leaking oil from internals,visual clutch disc wear ,so she got all new set of clutch kit with dual mass flywheel .All parts got from Frank Kean BMW in Naas road .
    Car is back on road and drives perfect!

BTW it doesnt worth to get second hand engine as it would need to change chains straight away anyway and its extra expenses

Few ,not much , pictures of done work
    hi mate just want to know if u had the work shop manual for n47 as i am replacing my timing chains on my car, bmw 320d, TIS INFORMATION ,or special tool i need.
    thanks a lot if u can help me.
    sam

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by ferrari

hi mate just want to know if u had the work shop manual for n47 as i am replacing my timing chains on my car, bmw 320d, TIS INFORMATION ,or special tool i need.
    thanks a lot if u can help me.
    sam
    Yes U need special tools ,these are easy to get on ebay and with them its easy enough ,only engine out job and some strip out .some people do this in car with gearbox out ,but i like to get more space even if its need more time to do this .

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

some more fresh models for new timing chain , 2010 F10 520d ,with just over 80k mls on the clock ,and new turbo as well
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you get this fixed before the chain snaps, how long is the engine good for then?

I have had numerous problems with my car.... dmf + clutch kit... pulleys... I am sick of it. All of the fun is gone out of this car.

Thanks for help.

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by myshirt
    If you get this fixed before the chain snaps, how long is the engine good for then?

I have had numerous problems with my car.... dmf + clutch kit... pulleys... I am sick of it. All of the fun is gone out of this car.

Thanks for help.
    minimum another 70k mls , if U will have it for so long .

Quote Originally Posted by Valdelisbmw
    Quote Originally Posted by myshirt

Thanks for help.
    minimum another 70k mls , if U will have it for so long .
    Why not the life of the engine? Are these engines that bad?

Do you think I should just sell the car as is? Get if fixed and sell? Or get it fixed and keep it?
    From your experience, what is the most sensible option?

I just fear that if I get this fixed, I will always worry about every noise, and then the dpf will go, or the turbo will go. This car has really just ruined my life, I am so upset. And I just lost my job aswell.

Thank you very much for your reply and help.

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

sorry but I definitely cant help here .
    Its lowest mileage when they fail , but they can make double mileage and much more ,its all about engine service

all cars has their minuses ,and BMW not the first or last in this queue
    any diesel or turbo car will have same problems , turbos ,clutches with dual mass flywheels ,pulleys , chains or timing belts and so on . I don't see minuses in BMW ,they made to get driving pleasure !!

Thank you Valdas.

My car has 100,000 miles on it. It was serviced at:

18,000 miles
    36,000 miles
    50,000 miles
    62,000 miles
    75,000 miles
    85,000 miles
    95,000 miles