Thread: Run around with a tow hitch:

BMWHaus Contributor

Run around with a tow hitch:

Well guys looking for opinions here. Basically I'm looking to get a cheap and cheerful run around with a hitch to pull my motocross bikes. Something with a small petrol engine maybe, I've a list below. Any recommendations or advise?

Toyota corolla
    Toyota rav4
    Suzuki Jimny
    Ford focus

BMWHaus Guru
    I used to use a 1.4 petrol 98 nissan almeria to to the race bike to mondello did the job no bother , I would suggest looking out for a hatch/lift back or estate instead of a saloon makes loading up all the gear a way easier .
    99 fern green e36 !!! X2 !!

BMWHaus Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by camnhoj View Post
    I used to use a 1.4 petrol 98 nissan almeria to to the race bike to mondello did the job no bother , I would suggest looking out for a hatch/lift back or estate instead of a saloon makes loading up all the gear a way easier .
    Thats true... I was hoping for a little van but cant drive it then on my current car extension policy so its a non runner.

BMWHaus Contributor
    97 to 00 toyota 1.6 Avensis (4age engine) - 01 and later came with the vvti engines - don't go for the vvti ones
    Bullet proof, reliable, parts are very cheap and a miser on petrol. I have one as a daily
    Non interference engine as well so if the timing belt breaks it doesn't wank the engine

BMWHaus Contributor
    I would second this as eamo said

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by eamo View Post
    97 to 00 toyota 1.6 Avensis (4age engine) - 01 and later came with the vvti engines - don't go for the vvti ones
    Bullet proof, reliable, parts are very cheap and a miser on petrol. I have one as a daily
    Non interference engine as well so if the timing belt breaks it doesn't wank the engine
    Quote Originally Posted by hamish262001 View Post
    I would second this as eamo said

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk
    It seems even some of the vvti engines are cheaper then older ones on DD which would explain your point.

My mechanic has a 01 focus with NCT until next summer so might take a look at it. 1.4 engine which seem to be decent?