Thread: Which E39 Headunit -Eonon/Dynavin/Other option?

BMWHaus Contributor

Which E39 Headunit -Eonon/Dynavin/Other option?

I'm very tempted to change from the MID/Dice setup in my e39 to one of these new android things but reviews seem o be mixed. I'm happy with the intravee in the m3 but I don't think i'd pay the money for a mk3 or 4 nav plus an intravee, so I'm looking for a better solution.

My criteria is:
    Looks factory
    Good sound quality for running amplifiers
    Must be glitch free
    I'd like bluetooth for streaming and handsfree

I don't have DSP.

What are people using?

My current speaker & amp setup is:
    JL 300/2 to run 4 speakers (75 rms per corner)
    JL E1400d (400 rms) for the sub
    Boston Acoustic speakers
    Focal 11" Sub

So far the Eonon that looks like mk4 nav catches my eye but reviews seem to be mixed online:
    https://goo.gl/images/l6T7TP

Any input appreciated!

BMWHaus Guru
    I've had a few of the android units and I wouldn't recommend them at all.

The NBT retrofit is awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Contributor
    Is this what I'm looking at so then?

http://www.germaniks.com/bmw-nbt-ret...8-e39-e53-e83/

Hmmmm...I like the idea but I'm not sure I could justify it. I think if I could get it done for 50% then I could justify it but only barely.

I have that d5124 whatever it is going on 4 years now excellent piece of the kit for the money and blends into the dash beautifully I never wanted a little computer in the car iv enough tech to fry my brain in the house

when I get in the car I just want a radio with plenty of audio input options , Bluetooth connectivity for calls and audio streaming and lastly a satnav I'l rarely use and it had to look like an original piece of equipment

Have seen plenty whine about issues with them but I probably have mine longer then all of them put together at this stage and touch wood every single thing worked from day one and continues to work

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Gar; 08-11-16 at 15:57.

Just a sidenote the d5124 is not available anymore AFAIK but I just had a look on eonon UK and seen they have an Android version now which looks similar iv never used it personally so can't comment on it

http://eonon.co.uk/Android-Car-GPS/GA6201F.html

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Guru
    I've had the Dynavin, Andrive and Eonon unit and I found that they didn't match the fit and finish of stock components.

The M5 had the factory screen, I just added a MK4 and an intravee and found from a functional point of view that it was much better.

If you're willing to accept a compromise in quality and functionality the android units are fine.

It's also worth noting that you can not expand the usable internal storage for applications. So if you want Spotify, prepare to be disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    I've had the Dynavin, Andrive and Eonon unit and I found that they didn't match the fit and finish of stock components.

The M5 had the factory screen, I just added a MK4 and an intravee and found from a functional point of view that it was much better.

If you're willing to accept a compromise in quality and functionality the android units are fine.

It's also worth noting that you can not expand the usable internal storage for applications. So if you want Spotify, prepare to be disappointed.
    What Dave said -

I have the eonon at the minute, it's ok, does what it claims however decibel level between functions varies widely. But at it's price point it's hard to find much better. Wouldn't be my preference but not sinking 50% of the car value into ICE kinda rationale behind my going with it.

Had the eonon for a year before I scrapped the car and sold the unit.
    Found it grand and really fit within the dash. As in it "looked OEM"
    The NBT is the ultimate endgame but not in this jurisdiction with those robbing bastards and the road tax that they want.
    E39's (bar M5 and possibly 540/6) are worth nothing.
    And for that reason any expensive ice that's tailored to the car is a waste of money unfortunately.