Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to buy a Mac, which one and the cheapest place to buy.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Contributor

Where to buy a Mac, which one and the cheapest place to buy.

So I am in the market for a nice new computer and have had DELL all my life. Have been severely let down with a new one I bought a few years ago so I am moving to MAC.

Should I get the i5 processor or i7? And is the uk the cheapest place to purchase now?

Thanks

BMWHaus Contributor
    I might be able to get you discount if you want. Bird used to work there and I think she still has a few contacts there. Usually 10% but it's coming up on the end of the year so someone might want to sell off their personal discount.

BMWHaus Contributor
    Well sure let me know. Thanks

BMWHaus Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by schoonerm3 View Post
    Well sure let me know. Thanks
    Will find out monday.

BMWHaus Guru
    watch out monday online for cyber monday. i have a macbook pro 13" i wasn't using the disc drive so got rid of it for a ssd and huge upgrade well worth it make sure whatever you buy has a ssd. what would you be using it for? i got mine up the north with the exchange rate back good time to buy. not sure if you travel much or know anyone that does but herd of people buying them in japan for a lot cheaper due to there tax

BMWHaus Guru
    Buy any Apple product directly from Apple, that way you'll have your warranty with them directly rather than with whatever shop you buy it from. That means worldwide cover with excellent customer service rather than being given a run around from whoever else.

You can get a student discount from the Apple online store by clicking "shop for education" - no questions asked, saved me ~150 Euro

What will you use it for? What's your budget?

I bought a 2016 12" Retina MacBook with the M7 processor and 512 GB PCIE SSD (and 8GB RAM - the only option) and can honestly say it's the best computer/laptop/tech thing I've ever had and couldn't recommend it enough.

Gorgeous 1440p Retina display, fan-less design so totally silent, it weighs 900 grams! And the battery lasts all day and then some + it can be charged with a power bank just like a phone. It's ridiculously quick for bursty CPU usage (3.1GHz turbo boost) and I've had no issues with it since I bought it when it came out in April.

Don't buy it if you want to use it for gaming or connecting a ton of peripherals, but otherwise it's an incredible little machine! You can edit video, audio, and photos no problem whatsoever, but if that's the primary use then I'd say get a Pro!

Another bonus from buying from Apple is you'll have a 14 day window to return it if you don't like it, again no questions asked, so you could always try it out and if it doesn't suit or you need a different one just return it.

BMWHaus Guru
    Again, depends on what you do.

I have the last gen MBP and it's a brilliant machine. The new while very slightly faster has only got USB-C connections, so for anything you want to connect to it you need an adapter that includes, USB, HDMI, Ethernet, SD card.

The other things with a mac now
    Is that the ram is soldered onto the main board, so order the laptop with the most ram is can take. I'm pretty sure that's currently 16GB.

If you're doing anything that requires rendering of images, get one win a dedicated GPU.

Mine is an i7, 512GB SSD, 16GB Ram, 2GB GPU. I can run 2 VM's and the native operating system with minimal impact on performance. The higher spec you buy now the longer you'll have it.

I would look at buying it from DID, they will sell you a warranty the covers accidental for a period of 4 years, so if anything happens to the machine within a 4 year period, outside of loss or damage, they will repair it, if it's beyond economical repair, they'll replace it with a new equivalent or issue you store credit to the value of which you paid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buy today from Apple and get cash back up to 250euro depending on the price!

I always buy directly from Apple and I'd buy about 4/5 computers per annum with work. Great service, quick delivery, same prices.
    \'04 E46 M3 Carbon Black 6sp Manual
    \'08 E87 130i M Sport LeMans Blue 6sp Manual

BMWHaus Guru
    ^ What Dave and Elmo said

International Apple warranty suited me better due to travelling but that sounds like a pretty good deal with that insurance. Go for whatever works best for ya!

Is that the Black Friday offer Elmo? It doesn't apply to the new MacBook Pro on the New Zealand online Apple Store sadly, it applies to the 12" MacBooks though!

BMWHaus Contributor
    Some good info there guys thanks. I just want a good laptop that wont get slow or give me bother. The dell I bought not long ago has let me down majorly. I wont be gaming or storing tons of videos etc.

Just something that will work like clockwork and rapidly load pdf's, powerpoints etc.

Budget is 1700 and at that price I dont want to think about another laptop for a long bloody time

Is it more usefull to have a better processor or better capacity?
    Last edited by schoonerm3; 25-11-16 at 11:09.