Thread: EGR cooler leak

EGR cooler leak

Firstly , I wish you all a happy & safe christmas. I have a question regarding my F10 520D N47n,, When i start it in the morning it can be very sluggish, almost like its misfiring, takes a couple of mins for the revs to settle. I can drive it but it can suffer a loss of power for a few Km , will drive ok but say Im stopped at traffic lights when I move off again theres very little response for a few seconds then it will take off. Once the engine warms up it will run fine all day until parked up for a few hours and it does this again.
    Not every time but most, getting more regular the last couple of weeks, I ran the OBD and it came back with an EGR fault, I removed the EGR and it was spotless, really spotless. I noticed the coolant level was very low about 3 weeks ago. I read somewhere that if the EGR cooler is leaking it can cause coolant to dwell in the intake and then when the engine is started can cause problems similar to mineand also can give the egr valve a look of being steam cleaned by the hot coolant being sprayed through it. Have any of you had this kind of problem? If so how did you diagnose it?
    Thanks
    Paul

BMWHaus Contributor
    Paul

Is the EGR vacuum hose attached and free of splits, if the EGR valve insides were spotless it may not be actuating and you have a vacuum leak from the hose and this may be causing your lumpy idea on warm up / low idle (when the EGR is active).

I will check that tomorrow, I didnt notice any splits in the hose when I had the egr out but then again I wasnt looking for them either. Thanks Joe

Just had a thought on this, Mine has the electric EGR so no vac hose.

Update on this lads, I removed the EGR valve, I noticed when it was in the closed position it wasnt quite closed, open about 1mm, I replaced the valve with one i picked up from ebay for €20, The car is driving like new now, All power restored. Happy days.

My F10 520d is currently in the garage having an EGR pump replaced as part of a re-call. It had already been replaced when the car was less than a year old. Coolant was leaking while driving, but not while stationary.
    So perhaps they have discovered a fault with the design and are now fitting a revised version.
    Not sure how old your car is but it might be worth checking out.

HI Felix, Mine is 2011.