Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weird one...Insurance company looking to recoup settlement?

I remember you posted something about this at the time of the accident. Did you ever find out What was the reason they gave when it happened? They would have told him why they considered him uninsured.

Definitely get onto a solicitor as this is a deep hole now. Parents may be affected if he was a named driver on their policy.

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan_D View Post
    I remember you posted something about this at the time of the accident. Did you ever find out What was the reason they gave when it happened? They would have told him why they considered him uninsured.

Definitely get onto a solicitor as this is a deep hole now. Parents may be affected if he was a named driver on their policy.
    He has never been told he was uninsured or that they would be coming after him for costs. He received a letter as start of November stating claim was closed/settled so assumed that was it.

It was his own insurance and he was fully comp on a 1L VW Polo.

He spoke to a solicitor today in his current country of residence who also thought it was all a little odd and said everything should be in writing and no one should just call to his door. He recommended when a letter comes that provides some clarity to get a solicitor here in Ireland and take it from there but in the meantime to continue any correspondence in writing.

BMWHaus Contributor
    Amazed at what I'm reading in this thread. Dare I ask who the insurance company is - is it a reputable well known brand or a dodgy underwriter?

BMWHaus Contributor
    I would do absolutely nothing until a registered letter arrives, until that time no contact can be proved to have been made. Sounds dodgy at the very least a guy calling to the door, if they can send a guy to the door they can send a letter.

If I was to be making any contact at all I would be asking why some nobody turned up at the door without properly identifying themselves and be questioning if some data had been leaked. If somebody unscrupulous had hold of contact information of people involved in accidents they could use this info as leverage for a scam to extract money, plenty of people are willing to hand over money at their doors to "stay out of trouble" with debt collectors.

BMWHaus Guru
    Another letter was received on the 16th apologising for the delay in replying to various queries and stating that a full review of his file would be carried out with a reply / contact made on or before the 26th, nothing so far... still 2 days to go I guess...

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by 318is-joe View Post
    Amazed at what I'm reading in this thread. Dare I ask who the insurance company is - is it a reputable well known brand or a dodgy underwriter?
    Well known...

BMWHaus Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey Bear View Post
    I would do absolutely nothing until a registered letter arrives, until that time no contact can be proved to have been made. Sounds dodgy at the very least a guy calling to the door, if they can send a guy to the door they can send a letter.

If I was to be making any contact at all I would be asking why some nobody turned up at the door without properly identifying themselves and be questioning if some data had been leaked. If somebody unscrupulous had hold of contact information of people involved in accidents they could use this info as leverage for a scam to extract money, plenty of people are willing to hand over money at their doors to "stay out of trouble" with debt collectors.
    Exactly - I think i'd be bringing in the data protection commissioner, to see if what they did (supply the information to a 3rd party is legal in the first place, then to see if there is a leak) - But to be honest the whole dodgy nature (no ID, new years eve etc) smells fishy.