Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steering wheel allignment

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Steering wheel allignment

Quick question lads, My F10 while it drives straight the steering wheel is cocked off to the left, Ive looked up how to remove the wheel and its easy enough but before I do it I would like to know a couple of things, do I need to take any precautions before removing the airbag? Is the wheel mounted on splines so I can move it around a few degrees?, I know its a small thing but it grates on my nearves.

BMWHaus Contributor
    Has the steering wheel every been off?

I'd getting the suspension checked for worth bushes and the alloys aligned before taking off steering wheels.

Adjusting the steering wheels is only masking the problem.

I think suspension is ok, passed NCT yesterday, no other faults, The wheel has not been off since Ive owned it [ about 3 years]

BMWHaus Guru
    Yes disconnect the battery first as you do not wish to trigger airbag lights. Once disconnected leave for about 15 minutes. The wheel should be on splines. Most wheels will only have a certain amount of lock points. I did this on my own car recently except I did it the other way which is a bit more involved but did not need to worry about sensors and slip rings. I undid the steering joint underneath the car. Repositioned the wheel that way and it worked a treat. I agree with you it can be very annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Venom View Post
    Yes disconnect the battery first as you do not wish to trigger airbag lights. Once disconnected leave for about 15 minutes. The wheel should be on splines. Most wheels will only have a certain amount of lock points. I did this on my own car recently except I did it the other way which is a bit more involved but did not need to worry about sensors and slip rings. I undid the steering joint underneath the car. Repositioned the wheel that way and it worked a treat. I agree with you it can be very annoying.
    Thanks, Ill give that option a look

Quote Originally Posted by Venom View Post
    I just had a look at the parts diagram, Did you disconnect the shaft at the telescopic bit under the dash?

BMWHaus Contributor
    Disconnect the battery. Let the car discharge for 15 minutes. Take the airbag off and see if there is any paint markings. If they line up going from nut to column then its on correct.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    Disconnect the battery. Let the car discharge for 15 minutes. Take the airbag off and see if there is any paint markings. If they line up going from nut to column then its on correct.
    Im sure its on correct but it tilts to the left a bit. it just annoys me on long journeys.

BMWHaus Guru
    I disconnected at the spline closest to the rack. I'm unsure what the set up is like on an f10

BMWHaus Contributor
    Don't disconnect anything. Have the suspension checked out for wear and then get a proper 4 wheel alignment done.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk