Thread: Handbrake shoes, opinions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Handbrake shoes, opinions

I'm skimming the discs on the M5, just because I can tbh. And to be sure there's no imbalance anywhere.
    The rear handbrake shoes are "ridged" enough, surprisingly, seeing as the matching face of the handbrake friction area is quite smooth.

Would ye bother replacing the shoes lads? The handbrake is... adequate, at best.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Contributor
    I'd adjust it up if they look ok..

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Seems to be the general consensus!

BMWHaus Contributor
    I don't think I've ever had a BMW with a handbrake like a Japanese appliance. I think it would probably be a waste. I always leave the car in gear on a hill and turn the wheel against the kerb. Save the penny's for petrol I'd say!

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey Bear View Post
    I don't think I've ever had a BMW with a handbrake like a Japanese appliance. I think it would probably be a waste. I always leave the car in gear on a hill and turn the wheel against the kerb. Save the penny's for petrol I'd say!
    I have a very good handbrake in the e36 and same when i had the e39. The 630i is pain useless, no matter what I do.
    For both the e36 and e39 I did change the handbrake shoes with the discs (& pads), the shoes are pricey for what they are!! (I got OEM ones at the time).

Yea it's disappointing really. Skimmed the discs last night, fronts were fine, rears were not.
    A good clean up of all the handbrake gubbins and fingers crossed.

On close inspection, the top spring is missing on one side, and unhooked on the other! Like, wtf?

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    On close inspection, the top spring is missing on one side, and unhooked on the other! Like, wtf?

The springs definitely lose their springiness over time, I also replaced the springs and locking pins on the e36, there was a bit of a rattle every now and again from the shoes and it cured that. I could see how the springs might fail. I bought a second spring/lock pin set for the e36 by mistake too, so if you're ordering note you only need one set.

So. Got a full fitting kit, same day, from RAE Autofactors in Roscrea. Only 10 euro, so couldn't be bothered rooting around the breakers.
    Turned out it was actually one of the BOTTOM springs, the one that pulls the shoes against the threaded adjusters. Wtf!!???
    I could have refitted the one that had somehow ended up caught at the top, but fired in a new one anyway.

Loose spring

Now, if any of you folk are stuck for any of the mounting bits for your BMW, you're welcome to what's in the picture.
    All new apart from the dirty one. Which is fine tbh.
    Mintex, not oem.