Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dipped beam

Dipped beam

Hi to all, safe motoring for 2017. I bought a 2012 520d a few months back. Bought off a dealer and am chuffed to bits with it. One small gripe.............the dipped beams are really not great. With the recent bad weather I have to make sure that the lenses are kept clean but even at that I think the dipped beams are weak.
    Been on to the dealer and they haven't come back to me yet. Was wondering if I can fit stronger bulbs and if there are any of you had the same problem. Thanks.

BMWHaus Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Biffo View Post
    Hi to all, safe motoring for 2017. I bought a 2012 520d a few months back. Bought off a dealer and am chuffed to bits with it. One small gripe.............the dipped beams are really not great. With the recent bad weather I have to make sure that the lenses are kept clean but even at that I think the dipped beams are weak.
    Been on to the dealer and they haven't come back to me yet. Was wondering if I can fit stronger bulbs and if there are any of you had the same problem. Thanks.
    What were you driving before the 520d?

1998 318 tdi, which had excellent dipped beams.

BMWHaus Contributor
    1998 318 tdi, which had excellent dipped beams.
    Hmmm, Fair enough - reason I asked is that BMW's aren't known for "exceptional dipped heads" compared to a car with a big front facing headlamp - that's why I asked, if you were coming from a car like a volvo with xenons say, it could have been just that you were used to something better - a 318 should be comparable.
    So I'd start with the basics have you had the dips set? sometime they get set very low, which would still pass an NCT, but is a pain in the A88 to drive with - after that i'd look at making sure the lense is clear, upping the wattage or converting to Xenon.

Thanks for the tip,

Are they Xenon or Halogen?

BMWHaus Guru
    What's the headlight adjustment like? Dipped will be worse if your lights are adjusted incorrectly.

Dipped beam

Adjustment is working perfectly. Xenon lights, I just feel that they are poor on dipped beam and as there is no lens washer they do get dirty...........but I still reckon they could be better. My young niece on hearing me chat to her hubby on the subject has said "should go to specsavers". Dah.

BMWHaus Contributor
    Adjustment is working perfectly. Xenon lights, I just feel that they are poor on dipped beam and as there is no lens washer they do get dirty...........but I still reckon they could be better. My young niece on hearing me chat to her hubby on the subject has said "should go to specsavers". Dah.
    There should be some sort of manual adjustment on the light is what the previous poster meant. I have a set of D2S bulbs that came with my car that has xenons, never fitted thembut supposedly from reading they are an upgrade from the original bulbs which either loose intensity over time or are weak from day one. Might be worth a try, I think the bulbs are from Perfekt Lighting (ebay I think but a trader on another forum whom I bought LED reverse bulbs off which were a good upgrade)

It could be the same scenario as old flourescents, the bulbs just loose some output over time? If you were really bothered I think a set of replacement bulbs could be worth a try.

That sounds logical. Car is due a service in a month or so and I'll ask Keanes to take a look. Thanks.