This is nice to see - actual customer recommendations; rather than see someone like myself harping on about products, and people thinking its just a sales pitch!

But sure I'll throw my 2c in.....

You ask what 4 items would you land on if you were to recommend something? 4 Essential Car Care Items??

Thats difficult; its as important to keep your paintwork in tip top shape, maintaining the finish is easier than having to do heavy correction work regularly, so in that sense
- a good Wash Mitt, Shampoo, Drying Towel and Two Bucket Kit

But to follow what you say; 'limit the list to 4 products that would deliver good results while minimising effort.'
Assuming you'd have the basics of maintaining the finish, listed above, then to give a quick turn around to paintwork lacking a bit of pop, then I cant argue with what youve listed, and mine would be...

- Tar Remover - CarPro TarX
- Fallout Remover - CarPro IronX or Bilt Hamber Korrosol
- Protection - CarPro Reload
- Wheel Brushes - Wheel Woolies

And how Id go about achieving a quick spruce up....
Wash
Drip Dry
Spray on Fallout Remover, on wheels, allow dwell, agitate with the Wheel Woolies, rinse off
Spray on Tar Remover, allow dwell, rinse off, repeat if necessary
Drip Dry
Spray on Fallout Remover, on body work, allow dwell, rinse off
Dry
Mist on CarPro Reload to a panel and buff in

Decontaminating the paintwork with Tar and Fallout removers (removing bonded contamination what regular washing wont remove) will do wonders for the overall appearance. Topping up the paintwork with Reload, which contains Silica gives a really nice shine and pop, and also very good protection; 4-6 months, while also giving very decent hydrophobic characteristics, meaning your regular wash will be easier too.
HydrO2 is easier to use than Reload, but for the extra bit of effort, it pays off in durability.