Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where's the best place to source a Battery

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Contributor

Where's the best place to source a Battery

Hi Lads.

What's is yer opinion on where is best to buy a Battery?
    I'm thinking somewhere that has good turnover of stock, as the last thing you want is something thats been sitting on the shelf / possibly changed up a number of cycles etc / gotten old.
    My thinking is that buying online isn't the best option generally - as any supplier in the know will sell off what's oldest first and you end up taking what your given.

Basically I don;t want something half way through it's life / started sulphating etc
    I note the BMW batteries sometimes ship dry (with the acid in 6 bottles to add) then charge / discharge / charge - and off you go - has anyone ever done this in Ireland or from Irish dealers?

BMWHaus Contributor
    I'm not sure if it's the best solution but I like the convenience of a local Halfords, I picked up a 70Ah with a CCA of 640A for under €80 last week using a trade card (easy enough to aquire). They come with a 3 year guarantee.

http://www.halfords.ie/motoring/bulb...3-yr-guarantee

BMWHaus Contributor
    Hi Kevin

Yeah, I actually live alongside a halfords, But I don't see them moving that many, I've been keeping an eye as I was expecting my factory battery to give up soon (it's 14 years and starting to loose it's capacity) - the stock seems to sit for a long time in there.

Oh another thing - are the bases of the battery's all the same? Will clamps etc be able to hold down any type or do they vary?

Quote Originally Posted by 318is-joe View Post
    Hi Kevin

Yeah, I actually live alongside a halfords, But I don't see them moving that many, I've been keeping an eye as I was expecting my factory battery to give up soon (it's 14 years and starting to loose it's capacity) - the stock seems to sit for a long time in there.

Oh another thing - are the bases of the battery's all the same? Will clamps etc be able to hold down any type or do they vary?
    They vary hugely. Some batteries don't have Bottom clamp "wedges" at all. Different pole layouts too. But factors should be able to look it up same as looking up any car part.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    They vary hugely. Some batteries don't have Bottom clamp "wedges" at all. Different pole layouts too. But factors should be able to look it up same as looking up any car part.

micksgarage

Jesus lads, I was in a Halfords killing time one day and I thought their battery prices were criminal. I asked the rep from Autelco who was in the yard one day, he thought their prices were hilarious. Try any good motor factors.

BMWHaus Contributor
    Bosch blue ones with 3 year warranty are very good. Buy mine from premier auto parts and I think they have an online shop too.

Have you tried a BMW dealer? I got mine there although it was a few years ago but they were competitively priced.

BMWHaus Contributor
    Got an oem battery from murphy and gun for the m3. 120 euro. I think its worth it

BMWHaus Contributor
    Just out of interest lads, do the BMW batteries come dry (with acid bottles to add) and you give it an initial charge / discharge / charge cycle? Or do they come filled.
    That's how they are shown on realoem (Dry with bottles)

Over the 14 years I've had this battery I've topped it up twice after it gassed (evaporated a bit) during a recharge - even though they are maintenance free, it is possible to check and top them up (my factory one anyway on E39). I recovered it twice and it did 6 years or so extra. The screw caps are under the BMW sticker.
    Last edited by 318is-joe; 20-03-17 at 11:27.