Thread: E39 sporadic ABS and traction warning lights after engine heats up

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

E39 sporadic ABS and traction warning lights after engine heats up

E39 525i: getting ABS + Traction warning lights coming on simultaneously sometimes. I don't do much city/town driving so doesn't happen every time but I think it may be engine temperature related.

Is this a sign that the ABS module is on the way out?

Is it possible to heat shield the module further and avoid/post-pone the issue?

What are my options?

BMWHaus Contributor
    Definitely sounds like the module, I had very similar symptoms, once the engine got a bit warm, boom, ABS and traction lights were on! I've seen some people heat shield them but at this stage they're cheap to pick up if they blow and just get a used one coded to your car.
    E39 525iA Sport - Sapphire Black - SOLD
    E39 528iT SE - Orient Blue - SOLD
    E39 540i/A Sport - Topaz Blue

I've been looking at a whole lot of 2L diesels lately and it's a bit depressing. I'll happily try the heat shield route if I can get 6 months and one more NCT out of it. I managed to get down to 27MPG on a coast to coast trip last week - decided if it was going out, may as well enjoy it!

I'm going to get this sorted. I see a US company who will rebuild my ABS module for $300 plus shipping, with a guarantee. I also see used ABS modules on ebay for around €120, which would then need a recode (main dealer only? How much?).

Who has done this recently? What's the best way to do it?

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by outofbandii View Post
    I'm going to get this sorted. I see a US company who will rebuild my ABS module for $300 plus shipping, with a guarantee. I also see used ABS modules on ebay for around €120, which would then need a recode (main dealer only? How much?).

Who has done this recently? What's the best way to do it?
    Send your unit to Freestorm in Cork and they will repair your own. Using them for years and by far the best between here and the UK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HealyC View Post
    Send your unit to Freestorm in Cork and they will repair your own. Using them for years and by far the best between here and the UK.
    Excellent, thanks for that info. I rang them just now, spoke with Donal there.

Looks like there's two options, exchange (€220) or repair (€180). There are two major part number options, XXX XXX 001 and XXX XXX 002. If I have 001 I can get repair or exchange if they have the module in stock. If I have 002, my understanding is they can only offer repair.

My part number is 001, but they're currently out of stock of replacements, so he advised that I send it for repair. He said they can usually turn it around in 1 business day, which is damn quick.

The other thing is heat-shielding. If the module is repaired, does it need more protection in future? I see some folks have bolted on aluminium sheeting, adhesive heatshield tape and other solutions.

This is what it's like currently: