Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E39 crossover install

BMWHaus Contributor

E39 crossover install

Fitted components a few months ago, but didn't have time to fit crossovers, and tidy up speaker foam. Finally got around to it today and it's a definite improvement compared to the bmw effort.uploadfromtaptalk1377796344525.jpg

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Images Attached Images

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: E39 crossover install

Nice. What speakers are these?
    How about the tweeters, what did you do for them/how did you fit them?
    Myself I used mechano toys stuff to attach them and removed the original tweets support bracket to keep them behind the grille.

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by GERMANIKS
    Nice. What speakers are these?
    How about the tweeters, what did you do for them/how did you fit them?
    Myself I used mechano toys stuff to attach them and removed the original tweets support bracket to keep them behind the grille.
    Mechano great idea would have never thought of it
    In phase Got them on one of the UK sites ,clearance sale cost more in shipping than the price of them. E39 is not the easiest install.
    I removed the tweeter bracket also and used heavy duty tape and packing to stick them to the small grill making sure I had the angle right (6 months in and still rock solid) .I was thinking of using enclosure above door handle but that would have been too easy.
    The woofers were a bit awkward too as the enclosure is very shallow, I had to remove some of the speaker trims to make them fit..
    If that wasn't bad enough you have to sort out all pluses and minuses .
    Sound is far better the crossovers make a big difference but to be honest the speakers need to be amped as the headunit is Very light in the power department.if I had the finances I would install branded headunit in glovebox and use its remote, just to keep oem look

BMWHaus Contributor

Yes the amp makes a big difference.

BMWHaus Contributor

Done the following lately
    Fitted the Sony sot amp, nice kick to the sound now, had a problem for the first few days which resulted in a flat battery ,turned out amp was being permanently powered and drained the battery, wiring diagram and multimeter later found an accessory wire which was only powered when stereo on. Works perfect now even without keys in the ignition.
    Rigged up a 12" powered fly sub adds a nice punch now but to get full effect I would like to get "more "into the cabin as if I turn sub up too much I end up with rattely boot lid.
    Fitted an aux input yolkie from the CD changer in the boot and routed to the glovebox only works from the headphone socket though.
    To sum up I have a nice increase in watts, volume and depth but if I am totally honest it's a bit like putting a v8 in a lada,sound quality in oem unit just doesn't compete with branded units no matter how u amp and speaker it. That said I won't resort to using the facia plates that destroy the look of the center dash .I have seen photos where the lower display is kept oem and the stereo is then hidden under the flap a tidy compromise

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by mac7
    Done the following lately
    Fitted the Sony sot amp, nice kick to the sound now, had a problem for the first few days which resulted in a flat battery ,turned out amp was being permanently powered and drained the battery, wiring diagram and multimeter later found an accessory wire which was only powered when stereo on. Works perfect now even without keys in the ignition.
    Rigged up a 12" powered fly sub adds a nice punch now but to get full effect I would like to get "more "into the cabin as if I turn sub up too much I end up with rattely boot lid.
    Fitted an aux input yolkie from the CD changer in the boot and routed to the glovebox only works from the headphone socket though.
    To sum up I have a nice increase in watts, volume and depth but if I am totally honest it's a bit like putting a v8 in a lada,sound quality in oem unit just doesn't compete with branded units no matter how u amp and speaker it. That said I won't resort to using the facia plates that destroy the look of the center dash .I have seen photos where the lower display is kept oem and the stereo is then hidden under the flap a tidy compromise
    If you really want to keep the OEM head unit, you should use a small processor that will flatten the factory EQ of the radio, so the signal coming to the amp would be a lot cleaner, then the output quality is going to increase as a consequence.
    I have a clean used JL Audio CleanSweep that I refurbished myself. Works great. 100 quids if you are interested.
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-rOzVpOSKkoL/learn/reviews/factory/cleansweep.html

BMWHaus Contributor

Thanks I had seen one on adverts a while back don't think the calibration CD was with it. What made me think twice is ,once installed I am left with amping all speakers from the boot then I am still looking at the grom solution for Bluetooth and usb .it all starts not to make sense ( conservative 500 Euro)not to mention cableing.what ever I do with the oem it's never going to match a branded unit. The set up I have now is still packs a punch to make herself cringe and mortify the kids from a hundred yards(old euphoria cds).but there is more to it than just volume.

BMWHaus Contributor

Thanks I had seen one on adverts a while back don't think the calibration CD was with it. What made me think twice is ,once installed I am left with amping all speakers from the boot then I am still looking at the grom solution for Bluetooth and usb .it all starts not to make sense ( conservative 500 Euro)not to mention cableing.what ever I do with the oem it's never going to match a branded unit. The set up I have now is still packs a punch to make herself cringe and mortify the kids from a hundred yards(old euphoria cds).but there is more to it than just volume.
    I never had this on Adverts. And yes I have the calibration CD
    You can get outstanding sound quality even from an OEM unit, as long as you have the right signal and the processing is done outside the BM radio module.
    I would love to listen to your car, meet me up, we can discuss options and share thoughts and experience.

BMWHaus Contributor

Seeing the Work you do my yolk is a very,very modest affair in comparison,must meet up as its not all about shoving amps and subs in a boot to make a decent stereo and bend your ear for advise. I do be Up around your neck of the woods every so.often visiting the home place ,would be interested in looking at signal processor options especially if there as good as you say ,

BMWHaus Contributor

Seeing the Work you do my yolk is a very,very modest affair in comparison,must meet up as its not all about shoving amps and subs in a boot to make a decent stereo and bend your ear for advise. I do be Up around your neck of the woods every so.often visiting the home place ,would be interested in looking at signal processor options especially if there as good as you say ,
    I am not a god in car stereo, I am still learning lots of things on a regular basis :-)
    Give me a text when you are around Blanchardstown